NCSoft confirms that Guild Wars 3 is in development

KOTAKU.COM

Longtime Guild Wars 2 fans had a mixed reaction to the prospect of a third MMO

It’s been over a decade since ArenaNet’s fantasy MMO Guild Wars 2 launched. In the years since its 2021 PC debut, the team has released several expansions and updates for it, with the latest being 2023’s Secrets of the Obscure. With two more expansions still in the works set to launch this year and in 2025, respectively, Guild Wars 2 players aren’t hurting for new content. That’s why the news that ArenaNet is working on a proper third game in the series came as such a shock.

News of this comes from an NCSoft shareholder meeting (as reported by Korean outlet Inven and translated by Reddit user Sydius), in which the publisher’s co-CEO Park Byung-moo casually name-dropped Guild Wars 3 while discussing the franchise. He confirmed the game is in development, but didn’t offer any other information beyond that. The immediate response from the community has been mixed. A new game is typically an exciting prospect, but in the era of live service games that receive periodic updates, a sequel can sometimes mean the loss of years of investment as the community moves on to the next big thing.

I still play and really enjoy GW2, it has the best open world content of any MMO and it's not even close. 

That said, I'd be very down for a Guild Wars 3. They were clearly trying to move on to something new as GW2 was dying down, it internally failed, and they sort of had to reinvigorate themselves to work on more expansions. They've been doing real good but I imagine you really need a new project to keep the passion up. 

I remember buying GW2 day-one because I really like the first GW, even though it wasn't really open world and kinda sucked. I played it for a hot minute but I'm pretty sure I fell off before the first expansion even released. I don't even think I would recognize it now.

I'd jump onto a GW3.