Should I buy a new car next week or a used one?

best3444

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Your 54k is all you have for retirement?  Are you taking your payout from your pension and spending it on living?

The $54K is for working for the state for 16 years. I'm getting another job that will pay well. The retirement money will be used for living but I am saving a lot too. I'm getting with a financial advisor soon. But on top of $54K I get $750 a month for the rest of my life, too. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Are you spending your retirement savings on a car? What's the tax implications of taking that money out? 

I already got taxed 20% for taking the lump sum. So the $54K is all mine. Yes, I'm using this money for a car. 

BTW, this isn't technically my retirement for life just a job I had and got fired from. I'm getting a better job with good benefits and a good retirement plan. 

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I already got taxed 20% for taking the lump sum. So the $54K is all mine. Yes, I'm using this money for a car. 

BTW, this isn't technically my retirement for life just a job I had and got fired from. I'm getting a better job with good benefits and a good retirement plan. 

I would shoot for as low as possible then. $750/mo is great but you should try to preserve as much as the 54k as possible. Definitely speak to a financial advisor, you'll need like 25k to open an account at a reputable firm. (I use Ameriprise.)

Maybe look at a Honda HR-V. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

48 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I would shoot for as low as possible then. $750/mo is great but you should try to preserve as much as the 54k as possible. Definitely speak to a financial advisor, you'll need like 25k to open an account at a reputable firm. (I use Ameriprise.)

Maybe look at a Honda HR-V. 

Good financial advice. Not sure about the car advice. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nope. Took care of some family business with the money. It will be soon. 

Get a Tesla. Then take your parents for a ride. Let the car drive you.  Pretend to pass out and lose conscience while going about 70. You’re welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 11:59 AM, Ominous said:

But how do you tow things take up two parking spots?

Parking it was easy, it was narrow parking spots that had me constantly worried about getting door dings. I wouldnt bother driving it downtown for things like Vikings games. 

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

No. A few things got in the way. I keep saying soon but I honestly don't know when really. I've decided to buy used and nothing fancy. 

Take your time. It’s a big decision. 

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Take your time. It’s a big decision. 

Eh, kinda. I'm just in no hurry. I don't need anything spectacular right now in my life. I just need something decent to get me from home to my future job.