Retirement money question

best3444

Just now, best3444 said:

I recently retired from working with the State for 16 years. I chose to take the lump sum and put it away to gain interest.

My question is, where should I put it to gain the most interest?

Get a wealth manager.  You do not want to have it in interest bearing securities long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Talk to a CFP. Seems like this money will be a mix between retirement and living off of it. You will want someone who can factor your lifestyle needs, taxes and investment risk. 

What's a CFP? Yes, this will be a mix of retirement and living off some of it. 

Just now, best3444 said:

What's a CFP? Yes, this will be a mix of retirement and living off some of it. 

Certified Financial Planner

WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

CFPs are highly knowledgeable and experienced financial professionals who advise individual clients on a wide variety of financial topics.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Certified Financial Planner.

Don't live off your retirement money if you don't HAVE to.

Oh, I don't plan to but I have two major expenses that absolutely need covered and only my retirement can do this. 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Make sure you understand the tax implications of them before doing it.  Get a CFP/Wealth Advisor, and talk to them.

I do understand the tax situation because I had a counselor work with me in choosing my retirement plan. 

I need to consider how I can arrange to retire early. In the UK, general talk is that state retirement age will be 71! I have a teacher pension that I pay into, and hopefully a state pension will still be a thing…but 71 is just ridiculous. 60 might be more viable.

11 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I need to consider how I can arrange to retire early. In the UK, general talk is that state retirement age will be 71! I have a teacher pension that I pay into, and hopefully a state pension will still be a thing…but 71 is just ridiculous. 60 might be more viable.

Yea 71 is absurd. I was forced to retire though. I got fired lol. 

49 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea 71 is absurd. I was forced to retire though. I got fired lol. 

Will you end up going back into work and stash that into a ‘later in life’ pension, or do you have another plan in mind?

I’m vaguely hoping that if a few circumstances line up and work out well, my wife and I may be able to wrangle an early retirement (aiming for 60) through a bit of property investment, some inheritance bits and bobs, and possibly some actual investing if we ever actually end up with spare cash.

57 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Will you end up going back into work and stash that into a ‘later in life’ pension, or do you have another plan in mind?

I’m vaguely hoping that if a few circumstances line up and work out well, my wife and I may be able to wrangle an early retirement (aiming for 60) through a bit of property investment, some inheritance bits and bobs, and possibly some actual investing if we ever actually end up with spare cash.

If I choose to go back into working for the state it would change nothing in how things are because I officially pulled all the money out. It’s mine. Now I need to get with a financial advisor and see where to put it to gain maximum interest. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

If I choose to go back into working for the state it would change nothing in how things are because I officially pulled all the money out. It’s mine. Now I need to get with a financial advisor and see where to put it to gain maximum interest. 

I’m not going to ask how much you’ve accrued in 16 years, but genuinely interested to know if I can stretch for, I don’t know, 40 years? That’s just why I mentioned returning back to work.

11 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’m not going to ask how much you’ve accrued in 16 years, but genuinely interested to know if I can stretch for, I don’t know, 40 years? That’s just why I mentioned returning back to work.

Nobody is going to get them a pension that allows that lol - you get social security when you reach retirement age but that is not enough for rent or anything. Of course he has to return to work, this is America. 

My advice too would be to make sure to return to work as soon as you can, unfortunately. I’ve received large inheritances before 90k, then 120k, in my youth, and blew them both easily in 2-3 years each. Money goes quick if you try to live off of it.

It’s much more important to keep that bulk sum invested to hopefully grow so you do have some type of net to combine with your social security when you get older or you can end up screwed. No matter how much it might seem and how much time you might think you have to find a job, it creeps at you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 4:45 PM, stepee said:

Nobody is going to get them a pension that allows that lol - you get social security when you reach retirement age but that is not enough for rent or anything. Of course he has to return to work, this is America. 

My advice too would be to make sure to return to work as soon as you can, unfortunately. I’ve received large inheritances before 90k, then 120k, in my youth, and blew them both easily in 2-3 years each. Money goes quick if you try to live off of it.

It’s much more important to keep that bulk sum invested to hopefully grow so you do have some type of net to combine with your social security when you get older or you can end up screwed. No matter how much it might seem and how much time you might think you have to find a job, it creeps at you.

God was like “I gave this ass $90k. Dude blew it on coke. Gave him another $120k. Dude blew it on electronics. I’m gonna run this dick over to teach him a lesson. What? He got bags from it? Motherfucker!”

• Haha 4
  • True 1