I'm seeing a trauma therapist

Kamusha

Hey y'all, I'm back after taking a break. Sorry for having a meltdown last year. I've always been very public about my mental health struggles and how my PTSD affects my posting sometimes. I apologize for making a scene, but I am doing much better now. 

For the past five months I started seeing a therapist who specializes in trauma it has made a huge difference already. It is wild the kind of new techniques they have now to work through trauma that is way more effective than traditional talk therapy. If you're reading this and you feel like you have trauma you haven't worked through yet and you have the means then please see a trauma therapist. The results have been amazing for me so far!

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 8
  • Hype 2

We're all just limited beings trying to make sense of a fairly messed up world, so no apologies required! :sun: Glad to hear you've found a method of therapy that's clicking with you. Keep at it and lift as much of that mental burden as you can! 

• Hugs 2

Great to hear. Tomorrow I start seeing a specialized therapist in depression and PSTD. He is highly recommended and most people I spoke to at the center said he will change my life. I struggle with severe depression and panic attacks. Plus severe PSTD for when my twin brother was in the hospital dying. 

Glad you feel healthy enough to post again. You are one of my favorite users. 

• Hugs 2

My therapist has me on a CBT model and still pursuing weekly therapy for the foreseeable future. I am very fortunate to have amazing insurance that makes this affordable for me as I have seen a massive improvement in my mental health over the last year as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

13 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

My therapist has me on a CBT model and still pursuing weekly therapy for the foreseeable future. I am very fortunate to have amazing insurance that makes this affordable for me as I have seen a massive improvement in my mental health over the last year as a result. 

Well I just got a direct call from this therapist that is going to work with me on a payment plan since my insurance doesn't cover it. I see this guy on Thursday so I'm really happy. I need help. 

• Hugs 2

On 2/14/2024 at 8:08 AM, SuperSpreader said:

Can you share more about what this means?

I recall 20+ years ago they had something akin to hyponosis that was supposed to change how the brain processes the pain. Or something. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it but I wish I did.

I’m a bit curious myself. Between EMDR and some various types of exposure therapy, to say nothing of some new forms of pharmaceutical interventions, trauma treatment has evolved significantly over the past 10-15 years. 

My therapist uses a form of treatment called brainspotting. It involves being put into a hypnotic state and then uses your eye movement to activate where the trauma is held in the nerves and release it. Each session I focus on a specific emotion and some deeply held emotional responses can take more than one session.

• Shocked 1

58 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

My therapist uses a form of treatment called brainspotting. It involves being put into a hypnotic state and then uses your eye movement to activate where the trauma is held in the nerves and release it. Each session I focus on a specific emotion and some deeply held emotional responses can take more than one session.

How does it get released? Like, a shock or something?