Intuit shutting down Mint by the end of 2023

crispy4000

I never post new threads here, but this is worth calling attention to.  It really doesn't need to be said after TurboTax, but fuck off Intuit.

Mint was seemingly the only free budgeting app worth using (... spreadsheets aside).  It's being gutted and merged into Credit Karma, without the budgeting, goal setting, bill calendar features, etc.  Presumably because people mismanaging their money helps bolster Credit Karma's buisness.

I've started moving to Fidelity Full View since my investments are mostly there.  It handles budgeting by category in the way Mint did, without some key features (support for bills that show up annually, every few months, etc).  But since it did a shit job importing two of my banks/cards, I also opened an account at Empower (Personal Capital) for a bigger picture of cash flow and tracking credit card balances.  The budgeting side of their web app is garbage though.  You can't set budgets by category, only a total monthly amount.  I also used a spoof number via Google Voice to avoid marketing calls to upsell me on investment products.  Contrary to what the internet says, you don't need to take a call to open an account and use the app.

Any budgeting app recommendations?  Everything else I've looked into costs a monthly fee, takes too much babysitting, doesn't link accounts well, etc.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Intuit shutting down Mint by the end of 2023

What the hell? I literally use the Mint app every single day, multiple times a day. I have for many years, before they were purchased by Intuit.

Mint was having some weird account syncing issues over the summer after my bank did a back end update. It lead me to try out almost every single budgeting app in the App Store, and the only one I found remotely comparable and with a clean UI was Rocket Money, but it requires a monthly fee for a lot of features Mint included at no cost.

I'm also annoyed by this. We've been using Mint since before they were bought out, so it's frustrating to see it go away only to be pushed towards what seems to be a lesser product.

In the wake of this I've seen multiple recommendations for YNAB. I have a friend who uses it, but I have no personal experience. It's $100 a year, so it better be good. Would love to hear of other recommendations before going through the effort of setting up a different service.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I'm also annoyed by this. We've been using Mint since before they were bought out, so it's frustrating to see it go away only to be pushed towards what seems to be a lesser product.

In the wake of this I've seen multiple recommendations for YNAB. I have a friend who uses it, but I have no personal experience. It's $100 a year, so it better be good. Would love to hear of other recommendations before going through the effort of setting up a different service.

Every evangelical friend of mine that is not all the way pilled on Dave Ramsey swears instead by YNAB. 

I couldn't be bothered to try it, but I generally don't spend a ton of money anyway, so I don't have an issue budgeting. This really sucks for people that have used and liked Mint. Tools like that are great and it sucks that capitalism is extracting more value from things that should be free. 

Bit the bullet and signed up for Simplifi.  Which isn't that simple, truly, because no budgeting app is.

Overall, does what I need it to do.  It's got some quirks and isn't as straightforward as Mint, but does a nicer job of letting you map out longer term expenses.  Most accounts imported okay.  The few that didn't (fidelity, huh?) I could enter manually without too much trouble.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:38 AM, TwinIon said:

FWIW, I've been using YNAB for a year or so and have found it useful enough to justify the roughly $10/month and I don't think I'm even using it to its fullest potential. It has some great reports and helps you keep track of your goals, whether that's saving for a vacation, making sure you have enough for a credit card payment, or for retirement. Its linking with cards via Plaid is really useful. 

Yeah, I'm pretty happy I moved to Simplifi so far.  It sounded like the most robust cheap option ($3-5 a month), and now I feel like I have my finances better mapped out than I did with Mint.

The goals part is a less intuitive to set up, but has a feature I really like.  You can designate amounts from any account towards them, and shows that as a line item underneath these accounts in your overall listings.