“Washington’s Dream” on SNL

SaysWho?

So just so I can kill the joke, the story behind why we still use freedom units is actually interesting, in my opinion. No one WANTED to change to metric. No dipshit is counting crows being like "if only I could have a metric system" when they've used "12 doogles per 7 doggles" their entire life. People are familiar with how many doogles go into a doggle.

Why did the US keep using doogles per doggle measurements? Democracy. Every other country changed to metric by means of "WE'RE CHANGING THIS, GO FUCK YOURSELVES UNTIL YOU LEARN THE NEW SYSTEM." In the US, a full adoption of metric would have necessarily involved a majority of people voting to do it, which no one ever did. Go to a local council meeting and bring it up, you'll get candy-ass Jerry telling you to stuff your liters up your ass.

The only country that really democratically shifted to metric was Canada in 1975, and that was the closest Canada ever came to a revolution. Not a revolution *for* metric, mind you, we're talking about a revolution *against* metric. People hated that shit. But like 40% of the population wanted to switch to metric because big daddy Britain did it, and that was enough to get people on board. Now Canada has the worst of both worlds. They still use imperial for all kinds of shit.

Britain actually also uses both imperial and metric for different purposes, come to think of it.

One thing people tried to switch to metric that never caught on was the calendar. They tried switching to a metric calendar in France after the Revolution. They actually did use a metric calendar until Napoleon switched it back because he was a closeted bourgeoisie. Under the revolutionary metric calendar, a week was 10 days, every day was 10 hours, each hour was 100 minutes, each minute was 100 seconds.

They still had 12 months, though, for some reason... I mean, you almost committed 100%, why fumble the ball at the 2 yard line?

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

So just so I can kill the joke, the story behind why we still use freedom units is actually interesting, in my opinion. No one WANTED to change to metric. No dipshit is counting crows being like "if only I could have a metric system" when they've used "12 doogles per 7 doggles" their entire life. People are familiar with how many doogles go into a doggle.

Why did the US keep using doogles per doggle measurements? Democracy. Every other country changed to metric by means of "WE'RE CHANGING THIS, GO FUCK YOURSELVES UNTIL YOU LEARN THE NEW SYSTEM." In the US, a full adoption of metric would have necessarily involved a majority of people voting to do it, which no one ever did. Go to a local council meeting and bring it up, you'll get candy-ass Jerry telling you to stuff your liters up your ass.

The only country that really democratically shifted to metric was Canada in 1975, and that was the closest Canada ever came to a revolution. Not a revolution *for* metric, mind you, we're talking about a revolution *against* metric. People hated that shit. But like 40% of the population wanted to switch to metric because big daddy Britain did it, and that was enough to get people on board. Now Canada has the worst of both worlds. They still use imperial for all kinds of shit.

Britain actually also uses both imperial and metric for different purposes, come to think of it.

One thing people tried to switch to metric that never caught on was the calendar. They tried switching to a metric calendar in France after the Revolution. They actually did use a metric calendar until Napoleon switched it back because he was a closeted bourgeoisie. Under the revolutionary metric calendar, a week was 10 days, every day was 10 hours, each hour was 100 minutes, each minute was 100 seconds.

They still had 12 months, though, for some reason... I mean, you almost committed 100%, why fumble the ball at the 2 yard line?

George Costanza Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1