Thinking about new motherboard and processor

Paperclyp

I was looking at Starfield minimum specs and it really hammered home that my current processor is just not going to cut it for new, more demanding games much longer. I have an i7-4770K. Looked at upgrading but it looks like my motherboard is about tapped at this point - it certainly can't handle any of the newer processors (much less some of the not so newer ones). 

Anyway, my motherboard is a Z97-E. 

So I guess I'm tentatively looking to upgrade motherboard and processor. For some context I have a AMD 6800 video card. Not sure what my power supply is but if I have to upgrade that so be it. 

I'd like to get something that will allow me to maybe upgrade at some point in the future, 4-5 years down the road, and still have an OK rig. But for now I think the 6800 will have to do me. 

Do you all have any suggestions / preferences on motherboards and processors? 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU is pretty good bang for the buck. A decent motherboard will be around $200 (or more), and you will need new DDR5 RAM which you can get under $100.  AMD could bring out more processors for this platform in the future, but it's not guaranteed for how long.

Starfield in particular does perform better with Intel CPUs. If you go with an Intel, they will only release one more set of future CPU upgrades.  The 13600K or 13700K would be good values, and again you'll also need DDR5 RAM.

Would also be recommended to have a good cooler. If you currently have one, you'll probably need to find an adapter to fit the new sockets.

• Thanks 1

And honestly if Starfield actually runs on my current computer and it's like... playable, it might give me even more patience. It seems to be playable (poorly) on a deck, so other than my processor my computer is significantly more powerful than one of of those. Then again the processor might make all the difference in the world. I guess I'll find out tomorrow lol. 

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Naw, I'm in Omaha. Looks like closest one is Kansas City area. 

Ah, that’s like 3 hours, I guess? They have some insane CPU + Mobo + Ram deals. Shame it’s not closer. 
Anywho, look into AM5, I’d go with either a 7700x or, if you want top-end, a 7800x3D (a 7950x3D if you’re doing productivity/encoding as well as gaming). Intel has their 14000 series coming out in October, but it’s the end of the line for the LGA1700 socket type, so, with AMD’s AM5 you should have at least two more generations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

If anyone cares, I am looking into potentially going with a 7800 x 3D CPU perhaps soon. Of course if I do so by and large I am essentially building a brand new PC minus hard drives and video card lol. But that CPU looks to be a really good one. 

There’s been price drops on it making it ridiculously tempting, if it goes below $400 with the prime sale next week I might break :p 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s $399 on Amazon… what motherboard do you have?

I’m on AM4 so my mobo won’t help you (5900x CPU) :p 

It’s a ASUS Dark Hero Pro, I’d need to upgrade if I pull the trigger on a 7800x3D. One of the reasons I haven’t done it is because current AMD AM5 mobos kinda suck with RAM as they become unstable if using more than two sticks over 5000-5666mhz; since I have a ton of RGB and like it, I’d want 4 sticks for aesthetic purposes, and Corsair is dragging their feet on releasing DDR5 dummy RAM (it’s just blank sticks with the RGB heatsink) like they have with DDR4

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m on AM4 so my mobo won’t help you (5900x CPU) :p 

It’s a ASUS Dark Hero Pro, I’d need to upgrade if I pull the trigger on a 7800x3D. One of the reasons I haven’t done it is because current AMD AM5 mobos kinda suck with RAM as they become unstable if using more than two sticks over 5000-5666mhz; since I have a ton of RGB and like it, I’d want 4 sticks for aesthetic purposes, and Corsair is dragging their feet on releasing DDR5 dummy RAM (it’s just blank sticks with the RGB heatsink) like they have with DDR4

Well let me ask you this then, if you were to get that new cpu what motherboard would you want?

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Well let me ask you this then, if you were to get that new cpu what motherboard would you want?

I haven't looked much, but for AM5 (7800x3D) it would be an X670 from MSI or ASUS most likely.

If I didn't care about it syncing with my Corsair RGB it might be a GIGABYTE X670 AORUS ELITE AX

• Thanks 1

Here is what I'm looking at: 

Motherboard

CPU (7800x3D)

Cooler

Will need some GDDR 5 RAM, not sure how much quality matters there? 

Need a power supply probably and a new case, not sure what I'll go with but will pry just look at some general recommendations online. 

And then I get so confused on what to do for OS anymore. I feel like essentially making this thing from scratch I start the OS from scratch but I find that stuff so confusing. 

Any glaring mistakes you guys see? @Spork3245 , @cusideabelincoln , @PaladinSolo

7 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Looks good so far. I'm guessing you're going with a white build? White builds look good with RGB.

You'll definitely want a fresh OS. Too much potential for Windows to act weird if you upgrade that much hardware.

Yeah I was looking at a white case. My video card has RGB and my current case is just black and no see through paneling or anything so it seems silly in there lol. But I’m not looking to make it look super crazy or anything fancy. 

Trying to decide if I vulture my nvme drives from my current pc or just get new ones. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Here is what I'm looking at: 

Motherboard

CPU (7800x3D)

Cooler

Will need some GDDR 5 RAM, not sure how much quality matters there? 

Need a power supply probably and a new case, not sure what I'll go with but will pry just look at some general recommendations online. 

And then I get so confused on what to do for OS anymore. I feel like essentially making this thing from scratch I start the OS from scratch but I find that stuff so confusing. 

Any glaring mistakes you guys see? @Spork3245 , @cusideabelincoln , @PaladinSolo

That motherboard seems kind of overpriced for what it is. Are you getting it solely for the aesthetics?
RAM (DDR5, not GDDR btw: GDDR is graphics card RAM) quality definitely matters, get a reputable brand and not their bottom-bin. Corsair Vengeance or Dominantor, Kingston Fury, G.Skill Trident, etc.

You do not need a new Windows key, your current should carry over to a new build, but you’ll want to do a fresh install (and deactivate your current pc prior to setting up your new build).

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That motherboard seems kind of overpriced for what it is. Are you getting it solely for the aesthetics?
RAM (DDR5, not GDDR btw: GDDR is graphics card RAM) quality definitely matters, get a reputable brand and not their bottom-bin. Corsair Vengeance or Dominantor, Kingston Fury, G.Skill Trident, etc.

You do not need a new Windows key, your current should carry over to a new build, but you’ll want to do a fresh install (and deactivate your current pc prior to setting up your new build).

It’s not solely for aesthetics (though I do like how that one looks), def open to a better value recommendation if you have something you like, it just rated highly on a few lists I saw. 

What if I don't want to deactivate my current PC? Thinking about throwing in an older card and using it as an emulation / streaming PC or something. 

Edit: yeah I am a little careless when it comes to my acronyms so you'll have to excuse that :p

It’s not solely for aesthetics (though I do like how that one looks), def open to a better value recommendation if you have something you like, it just rated highly on a few lists I saw. 

Oh, nvm, I was thinking of their AM4 motherboard which was very lackluster for the asking price. It looks like NZXT stepped their game up for AM5 - for me, my only concerns would be CS and support as NZXT isn’t exactly known for motherboards yet, and only having 3x m.2s (but I’m a data hoarder :p ).

What if I don't want to deactivate my current PC? Thinking about throwing in an older card and using it as an emulation / streaming PC or something. 

Then you’ll need another key, either for your new build or previous build. If you want most of your current settings/wallpaper/etc to carry over to your new build instantly, then use your current key for the new build and buy/“obtain” a new key for your old build when/if you set it up as a emu-pc/htpc.

Edit: yeah I am a little careless when it comes to my acronyms so you'll have to excuse that :p

I just didn’t want you to end up buying GDDR modules off of aliexpress or something :p 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Are you sure you only have one copy? I have two copies of windows since I've had two separate builds in the past (one from windows 7 and one from windows 8) so if I wanted to I could do what you're saying (I don't have that second PC yet. :p )

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you sure you only have one copy? I have two copies of windows since I've had two separate builds in the past (one from windows 7 and one from windows 8) so if I wanted to I could do what you're saying (I don't have that second PC yet. :p )

I'm almost positive. And then my HD with my OS crapped out on me last year and I had to do a bunch of silly mumbo jumbo to make a recovery or whatever you call it to actually work on the new drive. I remember having to clone a drive or something and it was a big pain in the ass. 

I'll happily eat the cost of a new windows license if it just works without any fuckery. I thought they were going free with windows tho? Did I imagine that? 

Anyone ever put their OS on the NVME? 

Logistical question: 

I'm connecting my CPU to my power supply. The mother boardend calls for an 8 pin and a 4 pin. Have a normal 8 pin goin there and then a split 4 pin (4 + 4) but the power supply end doesn't split. I assume I just connect the split end to the motherboard and then it's OK to plug the 8 pin into the power supply? Doesn't make sense to me otherwise? 

@cusideabelincoln @Keyser_Soze @Spork3245

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Logistical question: 

I'm connecting my CPU to my power supply. The mother boardend calls for an 8 pin and a 4 pin. Have a normal 8 pin goin there and then a split 4 pin (4 + 4) but the power supply end doesn't split. I assume I just connect the split end to the motherboard and then it's OK to plug the 8 pin into the power supply? Doesn't make sense to me otherwise? 

@cusideabelincoln @Keyser_Soze @Spork3245

If you mean to just leave half of the 4+4 unplugged, yes that's fine. Just tuck the +4 away from anything that could potentially touch the pins inside.

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

If you mean to just leave half of the 4+4 unplugged, yes that's fine. Just tuck the +4 away from anything that could potentially touch the pins inside.

That I understand, but OK so I have that 4 + 4 spilt, and the opposite end of that that's going in the power supply does not split. I realize it is probably a silly question, but I want to be sure. That other end will only go in 8 pins into the power supply, and that is OK? (even tho the other side then has the 4 pins only).

33 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That I understand, but OK so I have that 4 + 4 spilt, and the opposite end of that that's going in the power supply does not split. I realize it is probably a silly question, but I want to be sure. That other end will only go in 8 pins into the power supply, and that is OK? (even tho the other side then has the 4 pins only).

It's totally fine.

Just think of it like having an outlet of your house unplugged. Nothing bad will happen if just left empty.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Thanks man 

Most PSUs are set up the same, if you can’t hide the split plug (the extra 4 pin CPU plug), you can use this so the cable management doesn’t look like hell:

Limited-time deal: LINKUP - 50cm PSU PC Power Extension Cable Metallic Sleeved Silicone Coated Soft & Flexible to Route Custom Mod CPU w/Comb┃1x 4P CPU EPS┃500mm - Silver https://a.co/d/4sw7JtA