Bandai decides to placate some homophobes and pisses all over the Gundam community...

I figured this deserved its own thread.

Consider this a minor spoiler for Mobile Suit Gundam: Witch from Mercury.

Minor because there are really only two conclusions to this series after the first episode tells us that same sex marriages are only opposed by conservatives living out in the sticks. Series was either ending in death or a marriage...or as Bandai wants everyone to know something that is maybe "up for interpretation".

gundam-witch-final-episode-endcard.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Interview in Gundam Ace magazine September 2023 digital issue altered to remove 'marriage'

Here's the TLDR on the setup within the anime. In G-Witch's first episode the two female leads are engaged. By the series end they are very clearly married. They both have rings, they're cuddling in a field, and they refer to each other's family as in-laws. Prior to this, there was talk about the two getting matching wedding dresses. The series directors, writers, editors, and voice actors are all in agreement that they're married. This shouldn't be up for debate.

Here's the TLDR on the bullshit. An interview in Gundam Ace magazine threw this all into disarray. One of the actresses in the series talks about the leads' marriage. The magazine suddenly tried to wipe any mention of this. There was instant fan backlash toward the magazine in question with many fans wondering if this was to appease China. However, Bandai came out and wanted everyone to know it's not the magazine's fault, but happened on their request. Bandai's stance is that everyone that worked on the series is wrong and the leads' relationship should be "open to interpretation" and they aren't necessarily married.

I'm sure history will tell us they were very good friends.

54 minutes ago, legend said:

Sound pretty fucking dumb.

What's even more fucked up about all of this is...

I was literally on a six month wait list to get a Gundam Ariel Rebuild model. In the end I went with a scalper on eBay that was only asking for $5 above retail. I'm currently on the lookout for a not overpriced Gundam Calibarn. It's a $15 model kit currently going for around $70. Calibarn was only featured in like one episode with change. Bandai can, literally, not pump these G-Witch kits out fast enough.

Bandai was happy to take everyone's money and then turned around and told fans that everyone involved with the actual creation of the series doesn't know what they're talking about as if we're all idiots. All to appease the same chuds that refused to ever watch after they discovered this was Gundam was going to star space lesbians back in episode one.

I'll keep buying the kits because the actual creative team behind it deserves all the success.

• True 1

Well, that's pretty fucking stupid. My younger brother watched the show and as a big Gundam fan could not get through it (he made it to episode 17). He showed me the first two episodes, they were fine, but it's pretty clear even early on the show is really pushing those two to be together. A lot of anime silliness with schools and duels, didn't really feel like Gundam to me.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, that's pretty fucking stupid. My younger brother watched the show and as a big Gundam fan could not get through it (he made it to episode 17). He showed me the first two episodes, they were fine, but it's pretty clear even early on the show is really pushing those two to be together. A lot of anime silliness with schools and duels, didn't really feel like Gundam to me.

Oh, this series is VERY Gundam. You know how Gundam series go, so just think of peaceful school days with non-lethal duels getting broken up by actual war machines looking to kill. I don't think the latter would hit as well if you didn't start with kids playing war and children playing politics. 17 is a rough episode, though. Like actually maddening. It's one of those episodes where you get mad at some of the characters and wish they'd just talk. That said, G-Witch is short, so it all gets resolved in the following two episodes.

My one and only real complaint is that the series should have been another cour or two longer. The series has some fantastic characters. Prospera might be my favorite Char clone. There's also some lovely mech action that is cut far too short because, again, this series should have been 50 episodes. The pacing is great until you get toward the end and you start wondering why they're in such a rush. Some story threads just needed a lot more time to breath. I'm now not sure if that's because they didn't have more story to tell or if Bandai execs just weren't comfortable with moving forward with the space lesbians.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just more proof that Bodacious Space Pirates > Gundam

My favorite isekai this year was MagiRevo and it doesn't get gayer than that. Having said that, MagiRevo also suffered from the curse of rushing the ending WAY too much. This is, however, very clearly feels like a case where the studio was afraid they'd never get to do another season, so they rushed to a point in the light novels where it could hold up as a one shot season. MagiRevo's biggest downfall was the utter lack of building-sized robots. A serious shame.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Oh, this series is VERY Gundam. You know how Gundam series go, so just think of peaceful school days with non-lethal duels getting broken up by actual war machines looking to kill. I don't think the latter would hit as well if you didn't start with kids playing war and children playing politics. 17 is a rough episode, though. Like actually maddening. It's one of those episodes where you get mad at some of the characters and wish they'd just talk. That said, G-Witch is short, so it all gets resolved in the following two episodes.

It's definitely still on my radar so will definitely still keep it in mind then. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's definitely still on my radar so will definitely still keep it in mind then. 

I cannot stress this enough. Episode 17 is the exact place where I stopped as well. If your brother stopped there then that means he got mad for the same reasons I did which means he did actually care about the characters. In my case, I stopped and then came back after skipping a couple of weeks. Getting to watch the next two episodes back to back was a huge relief for my sanity. Episode 19 is when the universe's fragile peace really spirals out of control. See, then you get only 5 episodes to really handle the all out war and chaos when it really should have been an entire cour.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I cannot stress this enough. Episode 17 is the exact place where I stopped as well. If your brother stopped there then that means he got mad for the same reasons I did which means he did actually care about the characters. In my case, I stopped and then came back after skipping a couple of weeks. Getting to watch the next two episodes back to back was a huge relief for my sanity. Episode 19 is when the universe's fragile peace really spirals out of control. See, then you get only 5 episodes to really handle the all out war and chaos when it really should have been an entire cour.

He hated the show the whole time unfortunately, I actually pushed him to "keep watching" since I'd heard it gets better as it goes along but he thought it was dumb all the way through. He said he'd get on the Reddit after each episode about that episode and said he had no idea what the fans were saying, constantly saying: "it's like Shakespeare, you just don't get it" when he said it was just childish and bad. He really couldn't get through it but his tolerance these days for "anime bullshit" is pretty low. :p Like he thought all the "marriage and duels" stuff was super lame and the first two episodes did make everything seem pretty anime standard type stuff (but not bad per se to me). He did say it got better as it went along but not enough to keep watching it. I'm surprised it's not gonna be 50 episodes like most Gundam TV shows. 

• 2 weeks later...