“Starting at” is the Biggest Lie in Tech

Not just tech, but everywhere. Good luck finding a car for their “starting at” price. Dealers mark up everything, even the base model with add-ons that you can’t opt out of. Meanwhile commercials and ads show you “some optional features shown”, which it’s just the highest trim with any other ad ons. 

But yeah, the fact that in tech like that they’re allowed to advertise a maxed out version and claim “starting at” where that version is not even in a spec many would consider “this generation”. Less than 1TB of storage being offered is offensive, less than 500GB should be some people at Apple serving rehabilitation time at a penal colony. 

but if “starting at” is the biggest lie, I kind of feel like “up to” is close. As in most cases it is impossible to ever get the “up to” metric in real world. Like “up to” xxxxMb/s speeds for internet or even computer components. Storage capacity is probably the oldest technology lie still told and used today, since you never ever ever get the amount that is marketed. 

• True 1

I don't have a problem with Apple or Asus or whoever profiting off of customers wanting to upgrade the RAM in a system if the soldering actually does have some benefits (and the video shows it does), but one of the conclusions of the video also seems to me to be that we need a "right to repair", or more specifically a "right to upgrade", which I completely agree with. By soldering memory and storage to the boards, you're not only making it harder for customers to upgrade but also increasing environmental costs (i.e. the only way to upgrade is to upgrade/replace the entire machine). I hadn't heard of the alternate memory solutions the video showed but I'll definitely have to check them out. Thanks for posting this, @Remarkableriots

• True 1