The Winter King Trailer - August 20th on….MGM+ (whatever the hell that is)

Sooooo this is hands down my favorite book series of all time. Since the success of The Last Kingdom I’ve been praying for a great adaption of The Warlord Chronicles. I think it’s a vastly more interesting, complex, clever and emotional story than The Last Kingdom and I loved that show and books. 

But this trailer does not leave me feeling good. It seems to be portraying Arthur as the main character which he absolutely is not. Hopefully I’m wrong and they’re leaning on Arthur to attract viewers who aren’t familiar with the books. But I’ve got not great vibes and that makes me sad. 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

One of my favorite series...and that looks very meh. The cast gives me CW vibes. I'll give it a shot though.

I looked up the pedigree of the writers/showrunners/directors and there’s some really good work done there. So I’ve got my hopes up. The books take place over a lifetime so they needed to cast young to start. 

27 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I looked up the pedigree of the writers/showrunners/directors and there’s some really good work done there. So I’ve got my hopes up. The books take place over a lifetime so they needed to cast young to start. 

Fair enough. Merlin looks too young though. I didn't even catch which one was supposed to be Derfel.

12 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Fair enough. Merlin looks too young though. I didn't even catch which one was supposed to be Derfel.

I agree 1000% about Merlin. That casting has me troubled. 

I think Derfel is the guy in the trailer with the longish white/blond hair?

The descriptions I can find of the show do say that Derfel telling Igraine the story of Arthur as an old man is the how the show is structured. So that’s good at least. One of my favorite parts of the books was what Igraine thought was the different stories about Arthur and Durfel correcting her. I thought that was such an incredibly clever way to use both sides. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting first episode from a book readers perspective. I feel like they might have been better served releasing episodes 1 and 2. One covers a bunch of stuff only mentioned “off screen” in the books and then basically sets up the very beginning of the actual book. 

The casting seems pretty on point so far, aside from Merlin obviously. But I find the actor playing Merlin compelling so it’s a major change I might come to enjoy. Arthur, Derfel, Nimui, Gunglius(no idea how to spell any of these I’m and audio book guy) all seem fantastic. 

If we’re comparing this to the first episode of The Last Kingdom I don’t think this was nearly as compelling but it wasn’t bad and I’m looking forward to next week. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I was right. They should have released one and two together. Two finishes the sort of “set up” for the story. But this was all stuff from the beginning of the book. They hit A LOT of the story beats from the books with some dialogue and scenes being straight up exact. They changed they made I thought were really well thought out. Gundlius’ interactions with Nimue being condensed to one scene saves some time. I love the characters of his Druid and betrothed sort of being combined so that it gives the show another strong female character. 

The only negative I have (and they’re small) are that like most new fantasy IPs(not called LotR) the show has a slightly low budget and small scale compared to what we’ve grown accustomed to. GoT and Last Kingdom did at the beginning as well so not a huge deal. And the story is moving a tad quick? I think that’s an almost impossible feeling to avoid as a book reader. I’m curious what non readers think. 

Great episode and a great start. Feels like they really are gonna do the books justice. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...