IDW (fifth-largest comics publisher) delisted from NYSE and lays off 39% of its workforce

idw-1.png
WWW.COMICSBEAT.COM

IDW has announced huge cost cutting measures, including layoffs of 39% of its workforce, and delisting from publicly traded stock exchanges

IDW, generally considered the fifth-largest comic book publisher, has laid off 39% of its workforce this week. Editorial has also been gutted, and “half” remain. This move was done in an effort to “preserve capital, and put the Company in the strongest position possible to unlock value from its assets, including its intellectual property and ability to generate new intellectual property,” said IDW.

Hardest hit are the marketing and PR teams, which have been completely eliminated, according to ComicsBeat. Alongside the layoffs, IDW delisted from the New York Stock Exchange and reorganized its C-suite, including instating a Davidi Jonas as the new CEO and letting go of the CFO among other shifts. The move comes after a disappointing first quarter for the company, which saw a 44% difference in revenue (11.8 million to 6.6 million) from the first quarter of 2022, mostly because there was no “meaningful revenue” from IDW Entertainment in this first quarter. IDWE was responsible for video franchising, including shows like Locke & Key and Wynona Earp.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to IDW (fifth-largest comics publisher) delisted from NYSE and lays off 39% of its workforce
Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

They do mostly licensed books now right? I don't think they publish a lot of original I.P. I know they have Ninja Turtles and Godzilla right now. I think they Had Power Rangers too.

They lost both Transformers and GI Joe at the end of 2022:

8Bq8KY43mVeJXeQvzA2qWZ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

IDW has bid farewell to the GI and Transformers licenses

• Shocked 1

That's really the big nail in IDW's coffin was losing both Transformers & G.I. Joe - I'm sure those two properties alone were well north of 50% of their sales on brand recognition alone. I know I myself am forlorn, as I've been a life long Joe fan & Larry Hama was doing some interesting stuff towards issue 300. The way it was left, seemingly there is still a hell of a lot of story to tell, I hope he gets the opportunity.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I've been a life long Joe fan & Larry Hama was doing some interesting stuff towards issue 300. The way it was left, seemingly there is still a hell of a lot of story to tell, I hope he gets the opportunity.

Shit he's pretty much synomous with the brand now and hopefully will be allowed to go wherever it ends up. I'm sure he has some kind of deal with Hasbro at this point, he's been working on the series for so long. He was writing G.I. Joe for Marvel when WE were kids back in the day. He also wrote a lot of the character profiles on the back of the toyboxes... I'm surprised he doesn't have some kind of high up rank in Hasbro itself. I know the article says Skybound is in talks for Tranformers... I wonder where G.I. Joe is gonna end up. Don't be surprised if Marvel/Disney gets one or both back.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't be surprised if Marvel/Disney gets one or both back.

rom-in-front-of-gi-joe-and-transformers.
WWW.CBR.COM

Rom and the Micronauts are returning to Marvel Comics, and their move paves the way for other fan favorite Hasbro properties.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

rom-in-front-of-gi-joe-and-transformers.
WWW.CBR.COM

Rom and the Micronauts are returning to Marvel Comics, and their move paves the way for other fan favorite Hasbro properties.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF again... :lol:

In all seriousness it makes sense. Not only do a lot of these properties have history in the Marvel U and can be easily re-integrated because of that, but Hasbro wants to bring a lot of these to TV and the Big screen and going with Disney seems to make the most sense. My only question is have they missed their window? 80's nostalgia is being quickly supplanted by 90's nostalgia and will a lot of these older, more obscure properties resonate with today's audiences? I don't know. Also MArvel pretty much has every Sci-property right now... I think the only big one they're missing is Terminator. Not sure who has the rights to that... or who even wants them at this point :p Their Alien and Predator comics are really good right now. I haven't started Planet of the Apes yet.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF again... :lol:

In all seriousness it makes sense. Not only do a lot of these properties have history in the Marvel U and can be easily re-integrated because of that, but Hasbro wants to bring a lot of these to TV and the Big screen and going with Disney seems to make the most sense. My only question is have they missed their window? 80's nostalgia is being quickly supplanted by 90's nostalgia and will a lot of these older, more obscure properties resonate with today's audiences? I don't know. Also MArvel pretty much has every Sci-property right now... I think the only big one they're missing is Terminator. Not sure who has the rights to that... or who even wants them at this point :p Their Alien and Predator comics are really good right now. I haven't started Planet of the Apes yet.

Dark Horse Comics has the Terminator comic rights while James Cameron has the movie rights.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Dark Horse Comics has the Terminator comic rights

Still? Then I guess they've always had them. I don't think I've seen anyone outside of Dark Horse publish Terminator comics. I have some of their early ones from the late 80's early 90's. They were doing some cool stuff with the license before Terminator 2.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Still? Then I guess they've always had them. I don't think I've seen anyone outside of Dark Horse publish Terminator comics. I have some of their early ones from the late 80's early 90's. They were doing some cool stuff with the license before Terminator 2.

I think they had Robocop vs Terminator comic? I remember playing the game a long time ago.

On 6/3/2023 at 7:27 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I have no idea how I missed this... may have to track down some copies. I'm sure it's terrible :p

The wikipedia page for the comic is one of the worst written articles I've seen on that platform, it's wild.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 7:09 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I know the article says Skybound is in talks for Tranformers... I wonder where G.I. Joe is gonna end up. 

Both Transformers and GI Joe are now with Skybound.

KMTMqssYMq4c2wwZqLvKWS-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Original writer Larry Hama is also back for the new series

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Both Transformers and GI Joe are now with Skybound.

KMTMqssYMq4c2wwZqLvKWS-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Original writer Larry Hama is also back for the new series

Whelp time to add another couple of issue number ones of Transformers and GI JOE to the collection

• True 1