A sad end to a wonderful console.

gamer.tv

Today is a sad day in the gamer.tv household. We had some stormy weather and along with our router, it looks like our trusty ol’ PS4 has died. I’ve checked fuses, changed power cables - but nothing. 

Hopefully we can afford to buy a replacement (or better yet a PS5) in the near future - but until then it’s Switch and PS3…once the Internet is back up! 

R.I.P PS4 2014 - 2023, you were wonderful.

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 4

11 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Sad to hear. It's a good reminder to invest in a surge protector for your valuable electronics.

The extension cable I use does have a surge protector on it but was seemingly fine? The router was plugged straight in and that’s being repaired/replaced tomorrow.

Oh well, one of those things! 

There’s a possible twist. I tried the PS4 with two different power cables and no power - which was expected. Then, I did the same with my PS3…same outcome. Finally, I tried out my PS2…same. The PS3/2 have been in a box and definitely worked last year when I used them…so there’s a hope it might just be two faulty cables. 

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

There’s a possible twist. I tried the PS4 with two different power cables and no power - which was expected. Then, I did the same with my PS3…same outcome. Finally, I tried out my PS2…same. The PS3/2 have been in a box and definitely worked last year when I used them…so there’s a hope it might just be two faulty cables. 

Did the Magnavox Odyssey also not power on?

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2023 at 2:57 PM, Pikachu said:

Sad to hear. It's a good reminder to invest in a surge protector for your valuable electronics.

The surge protector you have in your power strip won't protect you from lightning strikes -- they're mostly there to reduce the wear on electronics from surges within the home.