Xenoblade 3 “Future Redeemed” Story expansion, Reviewing in the 9/10 range

crispy4000

I’m a little irked it’s this close to Zelda.  I’ve got like 3 weeks.

Trailer contains spoilers for all three mainline Xenoblade games, so be warned.  Callbacks to the end or late portions of each game, more specifically.

This is definitely geared towards those that have beaten all 3.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Xenoblade 3 “Future Redeemed” Story Expansion launches 4/25

19th April, 2023 – The final DLC in the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass* launches for Nintendo Switch on 26th April. The Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed – Coming 26/4 trailer gives viewers a glimpse into the scenario of Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed. Set before the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, players join a cast of new and familiar characters in an original story scenario that connects all three installments in the Xenoblade Chronicles series. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed also features new battle mechanics, such as Unity Combo, where two characters can attack in unison.

23 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

The real question is, I liked Xenoblade Chronicles, but like 99% of people, didn’t come close to finishing it. I kind of want to play X3 this summer - is that doable or would I be lost at sea? 

Depends on how you take to it ultimately.

Xenoblade 1 felt more like a standard JRPG with a ton of exploration between exposition dumps.  It has a through line that can push you forward if you’re interested to see it through.  No need to do 90% of the side quests.

Xenoblade 3 is the opposite.  The main thread isn’t always as strong (but definitely has its moments).  The side content is a 180-flip in quality.  It constantly tempts you away from the main path with new playable characters, job classes and world lore. You can beeline the game, but will miss a lot of what makes it good.

So to answer your question, it’s easier to get lost at sea, but that’s not a bad thing in this case.  I find these games take me about a month or two to get through.

Just don’t touch, or even look at this DLC expansion yet.  There’s major 11th hour twists in both XB1 and 2 that it seems to hinge on going by the marketing, which Xenoblade 3 largely does not spoil.  2 might even be more essential than 1 for it.

It’s wild how niche this DLC is.  They showed restraint for newcomers in the main game, only as an excuse to go nuts with the inside baseball now.  There’s even Xenogears references for those in the know.

• Halal 1

• crispy4000 changed the title to Xenoblade 3 “Future Redeemed” Story expansion out today

Out today sometime tonight.  I don’t know how much I’ll be able to get around to it before Zelda, but I figure I might be the only one here playing for the time being.  So there’s no rush for me.

Rumors are that it’s just as big as Torna, if not a little longer.

• Like 1

It’s a fantastic game so far.  They assume you know all the lore from XB3, and spend no time rehashing things.  The new characters are the most likable at first introduction in the series.  Having a martial artist from the beginning makes combat feel a lot speedier too.  Some interesting changes to the way combat encounters start as well, with many more more first attack bonuses for you… and enemies as well now.  The way they’ve tied map completion to persistent upgrades is a perfect choice for a shorter RPG.  Music bops.

Damn, this is going to be so hard to put down when Tears of the Kingdom drops.  

Review-Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-Future-Red
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

Xenoblade 3 didn’t need redemption, but it has it all the same When Xenoblade Chronicles 3 really hit the meat and potatoes...

Length-wise, it’s about the same level of time sink as Torna: The Golden Country from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (so 15-20 hours for the story, and a little more if you’re going for everything). That’s fairly significant for a DLC that’s already part of a season pass.

I had a fun time popping back into the world of Xenoblade with Future Redeemed. There’s so much there that I didn’t expect in terms of little mechanical tweaks, and it reminded me of when Nintendo would occasionally give other designers (sometimes up-and-coming talent) a go just to see what they could do. If you finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and even remotely wanted more, it’s an easy recommendation.

8.5/10

• crispy4000 changed the title to Xenoblade 3 “Future Redeemed” Story expansion, Reviewing 9/10 range
ftMBJgJr.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 9 critics, with an overall average score of 90. It's ranked in the top 1% of games and recommended by 100%...

74f68686e0143e5fe19b2a8b615fb716-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Expansion Pass Wave 4 - Future Redeemed for Switch game reviews & Metacritic score: Set before the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, join a cast of new and familiar characters in this original story scenario that connects all three instalments...

One of the best games of the year so far, no surprise.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Xenoblade 3 “Future Redeemed” Story expansion, Reviewing in the 9/10 range
14 hours ago, Brick said:

Glad you told me there were major spoilers in the trailer. Now I know to avoid watching it until I get and beat XBC3 (after I eventually play and beat 2 that is lol). 

The trailer definitely spoils the end of 1 at least.  But also contains a bunch of references to 2’s own 11th hour twists.  It lacks context so you probably wouldn’t understand it, but it also is the context, so yeah.  Avoid.  

XBC3 itself is safe to beat before 2.  There’s some post game content you should probably wait on if you’d ever plan on going back to 2.  It spoils some that game in an unceremonious way.  1 doesn’t get the same treatment oddly enough.

2 is worth playing for the world building, its excellent standalone DLC (Torna), and to eventually enjoy this.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The trailer definitely spoils the end of 1 at least.  But also contains a bunch of references to 2’s own 11th hour twists.  It lacks context so you probably wouldn’t understand it, but it also is the context, so yeah.  Avoid.  

XBC3 itself is safe to beat before 2.  There’s some post game content you should probably wait on if you’d ever plan on going back to 2.  It spoils some that game in an unceremonious way.  1 doesn’t get the same treatment oddly enough.

2 is worth playing for the world building, its excellent standalone DLC (Torna), and to eventually enjoy this.

I bought 2 years ago, I just never got around to it unfortunately. I'll definitely get Torna as I hear that's great. 

Reached credits on this at midnight.  I beat it before Zelda!  Woooo.

What a bonkers 20 hour ride that was.  It adds a lot of context to Xenoblade 3’s world, and even it’s ending.  But yes, this is 100% for people that have beaten all three previous games.  It’s hard enough to parse the directions they go with it at times, I feel like I have some catch up reading to do, even though I get the general gist of it.

One thing’s for sure, this is a series send off.  The end of the game cuts no corners, feels suitably epic.  Like Torna, this seems like it could be it’s own $60 game if there wasn’t a length comparison to the mainline games.