Beau is Afraid - Ari Aster’s 3 hour horror/comedy romp

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this in a sleepy matinee showing with exactly one other person in the theater, a woman in her 60s. When I went to leave the theater, she stopped me and asked “now what did you just watch?” And we stood there for a good five minutes working our way back through the movie trying to decipher it. Well, what that sounded like was she would ask a question, and I would shake my head and say “I’ve have absolutely no idea what that was or what that meant”.

I don’t know if this is the most baffling movie I’ve seen, but it’s utterly insane this thing is playing on nearly a thousand screens right now, with this cast/budget. I would recommend it to you freaks (I say with love) but not to anyone I know irl.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sounds like I should wait to see this rather than see this in the theater.

No you most definitely NEED to bear witness to this piece of art in a theater. My buddy & I saw it on Sunday and it has permanently made residence in my brain. Low key, and probably a hell of an over share, but Beau's mom is strikingly similar to my own mother, especially that monologue, just shuddered knowing in that moment the how & why of my need to watch this. It was cathartic, I felt seen & heard. I don't know when, or if ever, a film has done that to me.

That all being said, I would like Ari to move a bit past his own mother issues while still channeling that trough of energy & continue to make wholly unique films that are entirely his own, I'm a fan of his no doubt about it.

As for that reveal ... didn't know Starship Troopers cutting room floor creatures would show up in a 2023 film! :jordan:

• Halal 1

Reading about it and just sitting with it for a couple days, I “understand” the movie more, but I think part of that is realizing that you’re not really supposed to understand everything. 

Love this quote from a Variety interview with Patti LuPone 

LuPone says she and the cast were typically in thrilling disbelief during filming, often asking one another, “Somebody put money behind this script?”

She’s incredible in the movie, in part because she didn’t understand her scenes were supposed to be comedic. :lol:

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Legitimately, can anyone name a movie weirder than this thing was?

I just got out of the theater, and have no intelligible thoughts.

I’m sure there are weirder, more abstract, experimental movies out there, but they sure as hell didn’t get a budget of 35 million or a wide theatrical release. 

• True 2

• 5 months later...

I think this movie could eventually be a cult hit if it ever hits Netflix/Max or whatever. It’s a much easier sell to say “check out this crazy thing I just streamed” than “hey, go to the theater and spend $12 to be utterly baffled for 180 minutes”

• True 1