LEGO 2K Drive - open world Mario Kart made by NBA 2K devs

crispy4000

36 minutes ago, Brian said:

It looks pretty good. 

Ok yeah this looks really good. Much better look at it for someone with my attention span.  Seeing more lego in the world here too. Still would love to see a full 3D game completely built out of lego bricks but wonder if creating an entire rendering technique using lego bricks essentially instead of polygons is how you would do that well and just way too much work. I don’t think you can really shade and texture that look.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I want a sequel to Diddy Kong Racing.  This might come close enough.

You just activated so many frustrating memories. That one race where you race that big fucker who actually starts running before the lights go green always infuriated me as a kid. 

...I think some redemption is in order. I must replay DKR! 

But seriously, this game looks fun, and will becurious as we get closer to launch. I realize I'm less inclined to play sim racers these days, and stick to arcade, so could use a good fix. 

• Haha 1

Just now, imthesoldier said:

You just activated so many frustrating memories. That one race where you race that big fucker who actually starts running before the lights go green always infuriated me as a kid. 

...I think some redemption is in order. I must replay DKR!

Its one of those N64 games that still holds up well IMO.  I still fire it up in emulators from time to time.

• True 1

Diddy Kong Racing hasn’t been surpassed in the Kart genre yet. Like MK8D has so much content now it’s crazy and maybe that’s the best for multiplayer now due to sheer volume. But i enjoy Diddy more and there is no adventure to play in MK so single player is way more boring. 

• 1 month later...

Based on some reviews it’s a decent game that is given the 2k micro transactions treatment which is gross since this is directed at kids. 

0AWkL7Oi.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

LEGO 2K Drive is rated 'Fair' after being reviewed by 20 critics, with an overall average score of 71. It's ranked in the bottom 48% of games and recommended by 35% of critics.

I booted this up. It runs extremely well on the PS5 and looks great. It isn’t a true open world but you get a decent size space to drive around in. There seem to be quite a few worlds that you will be able to access eventually. The driving feels good. It’s a solid game.

Unfortunately, it’s a 2K game. Missions are gated behind levels. I did 2 main races, 2 training events and 1 world event and my level is about 2 3/4. I can’t do the next race until I am level 4.  Not a problem if there is a lot to do but there isn’t much. You are expected to grind the races over and over until you hit the level or buy some micro transactions to bypass. Pretty scummy especially for a game directed at kids. It is unfortunate because there is a good game here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

21 hours ago, Brian said:

I booted this up. It runs extremely well on the PS5 and looks great. It isn’t a true open world but you get a decent size space to drive around in. There seem to be quite a few worlds that you will be able to access eventually. The driving feels good. It’s a solid game.

Unfortunately, it’s a 2K game. Missions are gated behind levels. I did 2 main races, 2 training events and 1 world event and my level is about 2 3/4. I can’t do the next race until I am level 4.  Not a problem if there is a lot to do but there isn’t much. You are expected to grind the races over and over until you hit the level or buy some micro transactions to bypass. Pretty scummy especially for a game directed at kids. It is unfortunate because there is a good game here. 

Most reviews and community responses seem to agree.

There is a solid game here that is unfortunately barred behind an outrageous microtransaction structure, which seems especially bad considering the younger audience that will likely be playing this game.

I hope that the response to the game will trigger a revamp of their monetization model, but it's 2K so im not holding my breath. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1