Can someone please explain Steam trading cards to me?

XxEvil AshxX

I keep getting these things while playing Steam games and at first I thought they were just achievements, but they have monetary value? and they get sold/traded? Why would anyone want these?

Apparently I can trade them for "gems" or create a "booster pack." It says "Learn More Here" but when I click on that it just takes me to a screen where I can buy other booster packs for gems. WTF does a booster pack do?

I guess I'm just an old man cuz I have no fucking clue what any of this is for or why anyone would want it.

You get card drops for playing a game, if you get a full set (a full set does not drop) then you can craft a badge for your profile. the more badges you have the higher your steam level and you can add more friends and you get backgrounds and emotes from crafting the badges.

If you're not interested you can sell them at the steam marketplace for money, usually a couple of cents but if it's a rare card it's more valuable of course.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You get card drops for playing a game, if you get a full set (a full set does not drop) then you can craft a badge for your profile. the more badges you have the higher your steam level and you can add more friends and you get backgrounds and emotes from crafting the badges.

If you're not interested you can sell them at the steam marketplace for money, usually a couple of cents but if it's a rare card it's more valuable of course.

Oooooooh. So it's a E-penis thing.

I thought it was some kind of NFT bullshit.

48 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Oooooooh. So it's a E-penis thing.

I thought it was some kind of NFT bullshit.

That's the thing about NFTs: you don't actually need fucking blockchain to do any of the things NFTs want to do. In fact, you can do the things *better* *without* a blockchain.

• True 1

Sell your cards.  It’s a pain, but the cents can add up.  It’s free money, and can yield better discounts than passive reward programs.  Or even free games, if you stockpile.  I make about $30 a year to spend, and haven’t given Valve a dollar directly for several years.

There’s other ways to game the system I won’t get into.  But don’t engage with the gem system, yields are terrible that way.  Same with crafting badges.

Sell your cards.