PC Community Thread

stepee

50 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

How are they getting triple the fps with just upscaling?

Probably dlss performance at 4k where it’s rendering at 1080p - that seems about right from my experience with CP

edit: Reducing vram bottleneck is another way to get big gains with just dlss supersampling but I’m assuming this is on a 4090 and not hitting one on native even still 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Probably dlss performance at 4k where it’s rendering at 1080p - that seems about right from my experience with CP

edit: Reducing vram bottleneck is another way to get big gains with just dlss supersampling but I’m assuming this is on a 4090 and not hitting one on native even still 

Yea, nVidia recommends DLSS set to performance for path-traced Cyberpunk

41 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

nVidia will continue to push the boundaries on AI improving graphical performance/IQ.

Media/influencers will briefly acknowledge it, then go back to creating lots of charts that show how GPUs compare in rasterization performance only.

while some then try to tell us we’re all idiots for not buying the cheaper, less capable AMD options. 

I am happy that DLSS 3.5 Ray Trace reconstruction will work with 30xx series cards though. If it did not I might have to just gamble that the rumors are true that the 50xx series cards won’t launch until 2025 and go buy a 40xx card to tide me over. 

36 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

while some then try to tell us we’re all idiots for not buying the cheaper, less capable AMD options. 

I am happy that DLSS 3.5 Ray Trace reconstruction will work with 30xx series cards though. If it did not I might have to just gamble that the rumors are true that the 50xx series cards won’t launch until 2025 and go buy a 40xx card to tide me over. 

AMD and Nvidia clearly  have different problems -- nVidia lack of memory is something that makes me happy I'm not buying a mid-tier/budget card ATM.

But it is really promising to see that nVidia is adding performance benefits to its older cards as well.

• Halal 2

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

AMD and Nvidia clearly  have different problems -- nVidia lack of memory is something that makes me happy I'm not buying a mid-tier/budget card ATM.

But it is really promising to see that nVidia is adding performance benefits to its older cards as well.

yeah I’m currently on a mid tier 30xx series card, but I really like Ray tracing where I can use it. Between the 8GB of VRAM and the path tracing is some games not even possible without a 40xx card, if the ray tracing reconstruction was also locked to 40xx cards that might have pushed me over the edge to upgrading sooner than later. But then I’m kind of worried about VRAM even in a 4070 ti as how long will 12GB last as developers seem to be struggling by will or skill with 8GB now. I don’t see UE5 making it any easier. So then  maybe a 4080 is the minimum I should be looking for to get the kind of experiences I want. 

out of principal more than anything else I was wanting to be willing to wait for a 50xx if they came out next year, or for the 4080 to drop well below $1k, which is unlikely to happen this year if at all before 2026. 

I’ll be interested to see if the combination of DLSS and RT Reconstruction is really viable with only 8GB of VRAM. 

Well after three weeks Zotac finally got me an RMA# and was kind enough to let me pay to ship it to them. They received it and now I got an email to please allow 30 days to process. Oy. I’ve been really happy that I at least have my laptop. I don’t think I’ll be buying Zotac next time.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Actually they just shipped me my new card! They didn’t ask any questions and turned it around right away after receiving it, makes me wonder what it was!

maybe it doesn’t really matter. In some cases if you send something defective in you never get the same one back. It’s just part of the process to immediately ship you a replacement one whether they find a problem with yours or not. They may not even get to inspecting, testing and diagnostics for another few days or more. 

I often prefer this method, since it front loads the hassle of getting an RMA and replacement. Rather than being a hassle and long wait all through. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4090-matrix-platinum/30.html

The new flagship 4090 from ASUS (ROG Matrix) with some crazy cooling + a 360mm radiator. Stock boost clock is +120mhz over a base 4090 and it looks like performance is about +10% at 4k vs the base 4090, which is very impressive… BUT… $3200 :p 

That's equivalent to $5 for stepee. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Good news is that the price has been dropping a bit, if you look around you’ll find $1050-1100 on some models. An MSI and Zotac model were $1k a few weeks back.

BTW, I don’t know if paying extra for 3 year protection plan is worth it, as pretty much every manufacturer has a 3 year warranty attached. Unless of course the reason is that you just want to go through the place you bought it instead of doing an RMA if there’s an issue.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Good news is that the price has been dropping a bit, if you look around you’ll find $1050-1100 on some models. An MSI and Zotac model were $1k a few weeks back.

BTW, I don’t know if paying extra for 3 year protection plan is worth it, as pretty much every manufacturer has a 3 year warranty attached. Unless of course the reason is that you just want to go through the place you bought it instead of doing an RMA if there’s an issue.

Or wait 6 weeks if it’s a Zotac card :P

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

that was exactly why. I just did it through Newegg. Figured it would be less painful if anything happened. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Which 4080 did you buy?

WWW.GIGABYTE.COM

Discover AORUS premium graphics cards, ft. WINDFORCE cooling, RGB lighting, PCB protection, and VR friendly features for the best gaming and VR experience!

I like the look of it, user reviews said it will in my case, and it doesn’t seem to have a problem with noise and coil whine that others do. I’d been eyeballing it for a while, waiting for a price drop. It even went out of stock at a few places for a while. At one time bestbuy had it for $1150, briefly, but that’s the lowest I’d seen it go new in the past few months. 

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

WWW.GIGABYTE.COM

Discover AORUS premium graphics cards, ft. WINDFORCE cooling, RGB lighting, PCB protection, and VR friendly features for the best gaming and VR experience!

I like the look of it, user reviews said it will in my case, and it doesn’t seem to have a problem with noise and coil whine that others do. I’d been eyeballing it for a while, waiting for a price drop. It even went out of stock at a few places for a while. At one time bestbuy had it for $1150, briefly, but that’s the lowest I’d seen it go new in the past few months. 

Definitely use the sag bracket it comes with (or get a better looking one if you're about that kind of life), also, there's likely a physical switch on the card, set it to "OC/Power" mode so you don't get an awful fan curve by default, lastly, don't be alarmed if the fans aren't spinning on it when you're not gaming: the heatsinks are so monstrous on the 4080s and 4090s that it'll stay around 35-45C without the fans on.

• Thanks 1