Update: Hasbro/WotC appears to have capitulated

Commissar SFLUFAN

PC Gamer says to forget saving the D&D OGL - just move on to ORC.

uNdjwFmVvcmoymiV6qtZnf-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Wizards of the Coast is forcing fans into a struggle for the future of the game—but you don't have to play by its rules

What if, instead, we accept that WOTC is determined to alienate huge sections of its audience, and look at that as an opportunity rather than a problem? What if we put our energy towards supporting efforts like Paizo's new rival license, ORC(opens in new tab), which now boasts support from over 1,500 companies(opens in new tab), including Roll20, Pelgrane Press, and Chaosium? Or work to provide clearer gateways for frustrated D&D players to alternative games they might love?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Hasbro/WotC appears to have capitulated
11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My favorite part of this is that this sounds so defeated.

I'm still not sure it makes much of a difference.

I don't think it does.

Hasbro/WotC has clearly demonstrated that they can't be trusted, so third-party creators (if they had any sense) need to just "move on" to ORC or some other open license.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't think it does.

Hasbro/WotC has clearly demonstrated that they can't be trusted, so third-party creators (if they had any sense) need to just "move on" to ORC or some other open license.

The creator community seems set on moving, but will the average player bother? I guess it comes down to the real D&D bottleneck, the DM’s.

edit: Also, 

106837224-1612810865188-gettyimages-1301
WWW.CNBC.COM

Shares of toymaker Hasbro fell more than 6% in extended trading after the company said it would cut around 1,000 jobs and warned of weak fourth-quarter...

I think they needed a PR win.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:05 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't think it does.

Does seem to be that way.

4c3c4762173e9f32e213d9c5ffc195cf.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

Dungeons & Dragons may now be untouched, but Paizo will continue to build out its ORC license.

• 2 weeks later...

It's raining money on everyone not named WotC...

pathfinder_cropped.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

As fans flee D&D, independent publishers greet them with open arms

At least one tabletop games publisher, Kobold Press, tells Polygon that its sales quadrupled in January. Goodman Games, on the other hand, said it had its best month of sales since 2003. Nearly every other publisher that responded to our request for data reported at least double the expected sales, with some selling through nearly an entire years’ worth of stock in less than three weeks.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Seeing some scuttlebutt that Hasbro layoffs are hitting WotC, which… they’ve got their issues but they’ve also been riding the tabletop gaming boom to record profits. Corporate greed is just the worst fucking shit, capitalism brain is a cancer.

What if instead of cutting people who help build a new era for us, we empowered them to do even more? Naaa, better trim the fat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Seeing some scuttlebutt that Hasbro layoffs are hitting WotC, which… they’ve got their issues but they’ve also been riding the tabletop gaming boom to record profits. Corporate greed is just the worst fucking shit, capitalism brain is a cancer.

I mean, it 100% sucks that anyone is losing their job, but i'm not surprised about it. They've had a major fall in stock prices over the past 6 months before the debacle (MTG took a huge hit), and since then its down almost another 10$ to 57$. Last year at this time, it was close to 100$ per share, weeks ago it was 65. Bank of America basically told the world that Hasbro stock isn't at it's bottom, these layoffs were always going to happen, even if this fight hadn't happened. hasbro is in bad shape, and revenue is down everywhere. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:24 AM, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it 100% sucks that anyone is losing their job, but i'm not surprised about it. They've had a major fall in stock prices over the past 6 months before the debacle (MTG took a huge hit), and since then its down almost another 10$ to 57$. Last year at this time, it was close to 100$ per share, weeks ago it was 65. Bank of America basically told the world that Hasbro stock isn't at it's bottom, these layoffs were always going to happen, even if this fight hadn't happened. hasbro is in bad shape, and revenue is down everywhere. 

Right, he said capitalism brain is a cancer. Exactly.