RUMOR: AMD Allegedly Prepping Three 7000 X3D CPUs, 7800x3D ($449), 7900x3D ($549), 7950x3D ($799). Expected to be announced at CES 2023 next month

Brian

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hmm, interesting. I am just preparing to build a PC, but I'll likely get a 6800x3D.

Did you mean 5800x3d? If you’re building new you should be looking at the 7000 series or 13th gen Intel, IMO. By going with the prior generation AMD you’d be upgrading to a dead socket type (by going AM5 you’d likely be able to upgrade your CPU down the road without needing a new mobo + ram) and 13th gen Intel will have the same issue I think, plus you’d be missing out on PCIE5 and DDR5 by going with the 5800x3D.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Did you mean 5800x3d? If you’re building new you should be looking at the 7000 series or 13th gen Intel, IMO. By going with the prior generation AMD you’d be upgrading to a dead socket type (by going AM5 you’d likely be able to upgrade your CPU down the road without needing a new mobo + ram) and 13th gen Intel will have the same issue I think, plus you’d be missing out on PCIE5 and DDR5 by going with the 5800x3D.

Yeah, made a typo.

I get all that you're saying...but it doubles the price. I've never once upgraded a CPU in a single generation, I've always waited for a new gen (usually every 4 years).

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, made a typo.

I get all that you're saying...but it doubles the price. I've never once upgraded a CPU in a single generation, I've always waited for a new gen (usually every 4 years).

This is a brand new generation, and a bigger one considering DDR5 and PCIE5. I’d at least recommend waiting for benchmarks to compare with the 5800x3D to see if the added cost is worth it, as I’ll assume a 7800x3D should be notably better than the 5800x3D for $120 more. Unless, was your plan to just buy the CPU and reuse your current mobo + ram?

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is a brand new generation, and a bigger one considering DDR5 and PCIE5. I’d at least recommend waiting for benchmarks to compare with the 5800x3D to see if the added cost is worth it, as I’ll assume a 7800x3D should be notably better than the 5800x3D for $120 more. Unless, was your plan to just buy the CPU and reuse your current mobo + ram?

Total refresh. I was planning to order in the next few weeks. Was going to get 5800x3D and 6800 XT.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Total refresh. I was planning to order in the next few weeks. Was going to get 5800x3D and 6800 XT.

I’d seriously consider waiting a few more weeks until the end of January unless you’re getting insane deals that won’t be there if you wait. You’ll have more CPU options and likely more GPU options for similar or better pricing as I’d expect the 4070 and upper-mid tier 7000 series GPUs to be out in that $600-700 range that the 6800XT currently sits in (and be faster than the 6800 XT).

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d seriously consider waiting a few more weeks until the end of January unless you’re getting insane deals that won’t be there if you wait. You’ll have more CPU options and likely more GPU options for similar or better pricing as I’d expect the 4070 and upper-mid tier 7000 series GPUs to be out in that $600-700 range that the 6800XT currently sits in (and be faster than the 6800 XT).

Yeah. Unfortunately looks like probably won't ship until March, which sucks.

Only slightly related to the thread, but...

I decided to try buying a GPU directly from AMD on their online store, now that I am doing a new build...and managed to massively luck out. Logged in to find an RX 6950 XT for only $1070 CAD ($790 USD), which is $400 off MSRP (in Canada). 27% off.

I'm not planning on completing the new build until Jan/Feb...but if I can get a 6950XT for less than a 6800XT, then I'm jumping on it, lol!

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Only slightly related to the thread, but...

I decided to try buying a GPU directly from AMD on their online store, now that I am doing a new build...and managed to massively luck out. Logged in to find an RX 6950 XT for only $1070 CAD ($790 USD), which is $400 off MSRP (in Canada). 27% off.

I'm not planning on completing the new build until Jan/Feb...but if I can get a 6950XT for less than a 6800XT, then I'm jumping on it, lol!

My order of operation for Tuesday is Microcenter and failing that AMD.com.

Will go to who ever after that.