Comcast Pulls Plug On G4 TV, Ending Comeback Try For Gamer-Focused Network

Brian

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

XPlay spent an entire episode trying to argue that "Goldeneye on N64 isn't a good game"... by holding it up to today's standards and ignoring what else was available when it came out.

So... yea. I get it.

The mission structure is so much more compelling than most FPSs today.  It looks better in retrospect, aside from the obvious control and framerate issues.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The mission structure is so much more compelling than most FPSs today.  It looks better in retrospect, aside from the obvious control and framerate issues.

They spent almost 10 minutes criticizing the aiming and AI (comparing it to modern games)... like... jfc.

I tried to get into it when it relaunched. But that TechTV magic is buried about as deep as it can get. Everyone they brought in was just so annoying. 

We’ll always have the memories of those great mid 2000’s E3s. Sessler, “this is so unprofessional!” And the 24 live Tech help call in show they used to do the day after Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

XPlay spent an entire episode trying to argue that "Goldeneye on N64 isn't a good game"... by holding it up to today's standards and ignoring what else was available when it came out.

So... yea. I get it.

I watched it a while ago so I might be misremembering, but I think the argument wasn’t that it doesn’t hold up as opposed to it wasn’t good for it’s time. 

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I watched it a while ago so I might be misremembering, but I think the argument wasn’t that it doesn’t hold up as opposed to it wasn’t good for it’s time. 

They mentioned once "it was a product of it's time and isn't a good a game today". It was just a waste of 20 minutes. Like, of course it's not going to hold up; why even dedicate an entire episode to that?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

They mentioned once "it was a product of it's time and isn't a good a game today". It was just a waste of 20 minutes. Like, of course it's not going to hold up; why even dedicate an entire episode to that?

I’m not saying it isn’t just rage bait, but in fairness a lot of older games hold up better than Goldeneye does.  SMB, Doom, Deus Ex, FFVI, etc are old games that still play quite well by todays standards and don’t suffer as much in comparison.  Goldeneye also has the constant drumbeat of people begging for it to be rereleased and I do feel like a lot of people who have heard about it endlessly but never played it at the time are going to wonder what the hell we were all smoking at the time.  

54 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I’m not saying it isn’t just rage bait, but in fairness a lot of older games hold up better than Goldeneye does.  SMB, Doom, Deus Ex, FFVI, etc are old games that still play quite well by todays standards and don’t suffer as much in comparison.  Goldeneye also has the constant drumbeat of people begging for it to be rereleased and I do feel like a lot of people who have heard about it endlessly but never played it at the time are going to wonder what the hell we were all smoking at the time.  

I don't think there's many people arguing that Goldeneye holds up beyond nostalgia.

Many of their segments were like that; click bait thumbnails for YouTube... except it's a show and not YouTube so they can't throw out click bait for ratings. It makes sense since almost all of them are YouTubers.