As cryptocurrency tumbles, prices for new and used GPUs continue to fall

Jason

It's kind of funny to see crypto bros on twitter blame the government for the crypto crash.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the whole fucking goddamn point of decentralized currency was that it's supposed to be immune from bank and governments. Or maybe, and this is just a thought, but hear me out... speculative markets are the first things to crash when we're possibly heading towards a recession. And crypto is just a fucking game. And people can't pay their rent with shitcoins.

There is a guy in Fernley, NV that has been trying to unload all his GPUs just at the start of the crash for crazy prices (3080 for $1600, 3060 for $900 and so on) on the local Facebook marketplaces. I posted a comment for people no buy his cards and just get one for retail and he locked all his listings comments and reported me to Facebook and the admins for harassment. Glorious when crypominers are trying to panic sale their cards. 

I think a few media outlets (GN and LTT) found if your give them a complete teardown and cleaning, new thermal pads/pastes, they aren't a bad buy if they priced right. But, not worth it at 2-3x the price of new. 

EDIT: You know the type of thing the average user that would purchase a cheap GPU would know how to do or even be comfortable doing. 

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

I think a few media outlets (GN and LTT) found if your give them a complete teardown and cleaning, new thermal pads/pastes, they aren't a bad buy if they priced right. But, not worth it at 2-3x the price of new. 

EDIT: You know the type of thing the average user that would purchase a cheap GPU would know how to do or even be comfortable doing. 

Or pay a shop to do for you, which will cost you a fair amount of money by itself.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Isn't it a bad idea to buy a used card that was used for mining? Aren't they potentially trashed?

I wouldn’t touch one unless it was some extremely low price. Partly because of the stress it was put under. The other part because I wouldn’t want to give another cent to a crypto miner. They caused a shortage of cards for the average person and then the chip shortage happened on top of it. Not a fan.