Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes HBO Max

As I watched that trailer I thought two things:

• Was this the first inciting incident that begat the downfall of the U.S.S.R.?
  • What will it take in our country, to be the inciting domino to topple the U.S.?

I know, pretty muffed up to think but nevertheless, isn't that what documentaries are about, to look at things as they are through the prism of what's being told?

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

As I watched that trailer I thought two things:

• Was this the first inciting incident that begat the downfall of the U.S.S.R.?
  • What will it take in our country, to be the inciting domino to topple the U.S.?

I know, pretty muffed up to think but nevertheless, isn't that what documentaries are about, to look at things as they are through the prism of what's being told?

Gorbachev would definitely tell you it was. He said as much in his memoirs.

But I don't believe so. The USSR was already on its way to falling by 1986. The USSR's precipitating incident was Brezhnev's decision to invade Afghanistan.

So based on that, I'd say we already have a few dominoes falling. 

• Halal 2

20 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Gorbachev would definitely tell you it was. He said as much in his memoirs.

But I don't believe so. The USSR was already on its way to falling by 1986. The USSR's precipitating incident was Brezhnev's decision to invade Afghanistan.

So based on that, I'd say we already have a few dominoes falling. 

The precipitating incident for the toppling of the American empire was probably September 11, 2001 though one could reasonably argue that the demise of the Soviet Union on December 25, 1991 also sealed the fate of the United States.

• Halal 1

I just watched the trailer, and man... I didn't think I would get emotional about it, but I did. 

I can't really express what it is about Chernobyl, its effects, and how it ties in to the USSR's end that evokes such emotion in me. But seeing the flash of Swan Lake on a TV and hearing the ballet's music in the last part of the trailer... That did me in. That ballet has such power and violence in the music. It's parallel to the power and violence of the Chernobyl disaster and the fall of the Soviet Union itself. 

I've not felt like this since I guess Carig Mazin's docu-series!

• Like 1