I just watched The Visit a few days ago

I eww'd at one scene in particular.

You know the scene.

:sick:

Spoiler

All in all, I did think this felt more like M. Night. I read an interview where he says that he tried to do other things, and he's now OK with doing what he knows -- movie with a twist, usually horror elements -- and welcomes the expectation of going into an M. Night film for that.

And I think embracing that allows him to get into doing what he knows. The movie slowly increases the weird factor, where it's reasonable that the main characters who see the weird things happening can rationally explain them, but around when you have a hard time explaining it, so do they. It actually was "funny" in a way seeing how their grandparents acted, but at some point, you're going to stop laughing about it.

At least I think so. There's ONE exception near the end. 

Spoiler

YAHTZEE!!! 

I recommend watching it. It's a good 90 minutes that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Really enjoyed this one too. Such an interesting point in Shyamalan’s career. Like you said, this is clearly what he made after taking a step back after making several bombs and re-evaluating what he’s good at. He needed to go back to smaller scale, lower budget, creepy/twisty movies. And it gets him out of his slump! I didn’t like Glass all that much, but Split and Old are both a lot of fun! Can’t wait to see the one he’s shooting now. 

I haven't seen The Visit or Old yet, but Split was great. Glass was pretty underwhelming after the first act unfortunately. M. Night has yet to reach the caliber again of The Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs/The Village yet. Like, Split was good, but it's not at the level of those films.

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen The Visit or Old yet, but Split was great. Glass was pretty underwhelming after the first act unfortunately. M. Night has yet to reach the caliber again of The Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs/The Village yet. Like, Split was good, but it's not at the level of those films.

I would personally rank Old in the same tier as Signs and The Village, but when people tell me they hated it… I get it. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I would personally rank Old in the same tier as Signs and The Village, but when people tell me they hated it… I get it. :lol:

My youngest brother saw Old and said it wasn't ultimately very good, but he said it was interesting. Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement but I'll likely see it eventually.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:48 AM, Fizzzzle said:

The Visit might honestly be my favorite movie he's ever done behind Unbreakable.

orly? Interesting.

Then again, and I hate to say it, but I feel it's not up against the biggest competition ever since most people liked Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs and then it gets spotty for the next 15 years until The Visit.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

orly? Interesting.

Then again, and I hate to say it, but I feel it's not up against the biggest competition ever since most people liked Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs and then it gets spotty for the next 15 years until The Visit.

I know people are divisive on The Village, but it's tone, atmosphere, soundtrack, and Deakins' cinematography make it top tier in my opinion.