The all too uncomfortable slide that eco-failure conscribes.

If an extinction event isn't enough to thwart doubters, how about the fact of 'borrowed' labour. Some seem to prescribe capitalism as an analogue to the competitive spirit, but it's too facile facing reality. The global south is an assembly line for the western middle class dream. It hasn't been interrupted for as long as it started.

The labour that makes the candy bar machine exists is an existential dread across many in the world. But this isn't enough to sway some minds.

The upcoming ecological turning point will paint many to death. And as careless it may be, the pennies of labour that the expendable bodies harboured disappears as well.

• True 1

2 hours ago, unogueen said:

If an extinction event isn't enough to thwart doubters, how about the fact of 'borrowed' labour. Some seem to prescribe capitalism as an analogue to the competitive spirit, but it's too facile facing reality. The global south is an assembly line for the western middle class dream. It hasn't been interrupted for as long as it started.

The labour that makes the candy bar machine exists is an existential dread across many in the world. But this isn't enough to sway some minds.

The upcoming ecological turning point will paint many to death. And as careless it may be, the pennies of labour that the expendable bodies harboured disappears as well.

This is a cogent analysis.

So much of Western prosperity is entirely dependent on the lives of the Global South that only the threat that climate change poses to those lives and by extension the relatively comfortable Western lifestyle could possibly move the climate change "apathetics" to a more proactive stance (the climate change deniers are a lost cause).

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think I agree...but I also think you may be high.

WAS high. On review my original post is pretty selfish.

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Is this double rainbow Econ? 

Not following with the econ angle. As a foodservice worker in year three of covid I've seen the entire model come undone in a way I didn't think was possible in such short time. From supply chains to labour issues, it's a problem that people don't seem to apply enough nuance to. It's not about being without candy bars, but the top to bottom industrialized model isn't a matter of isolated islands. The only thing I see following all these changes is a global shitstorm that no one seems to be vocal enough about. Much like the covid contrarians are expecting some thanos snap event, there's an expectation of a 'revelation' but we're already in the climate change phase. And I'm increasingly baffled by the lack of urgency among the greater political spectrum.

7 hours ago, unogueen said:

And I'm increasingly baffled by the lack of urgency among the greater political spectrum.

As long as most / a non trivial amount of elites can not only weather but thrive through things like the recession, real estate crash, pandemic, etc., why would they be motivated to change anything? They just get to buy things on sale. 

I assume they either don’t believe climate change is going to be as bad as people anticipate and / or believe it will present opportunities. 

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

As long as most / a non trivial amount of elites can not only weather but thrive through things like the recession, real estate crash, pandemic, etc., why would they be motivated to change anything? They just get to buy things on sale. 

I assume they either don’t believe climate change is going to be as bad as people anticipate and / or believe it will present opportunities. 

We've been witness to so much already. This situation is spiraling faster and faster. I don't expect much word about Africa, South Asia, or Southeast Asia and the Pacific on the grapevine. Our nutrition depends on our labour. I cannot imagine this much of a miscalculation.

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They won't live long enough to be negatively affected, so why should they care? Their kids are going to have enough money to figure it they're lives out and they can't be bothered to worry about family they'll never live to meet.