A stupid story.

gamer.tv

I went with my wife and her family to Wales last July. We had a lovely time but about 3/4 of the way through, my daughter became unwell with a cold.

We gave her medicine, but at about 6pm, she got so hot she had a febrile seizure. One of those things that are common, but really horrible for a parent. She stopped breathing, went blue and stayed that way for a while. Maybe 3 minutes or so.

She came back around but wasn’t great, but thankfully, despite being in the middle of nowhere, we had an ambulance and paramedics not too far away (20 minutes or so). They arrived, took her heart rate, blood pressure and her temperature. She was 39.9C at the time and had probably crept higher. We had a thermometer and it had been coming out at about 38C, so we knew she wasn’t well but not that unwell.

After it was checked, one paramedic, about 60 or so, looked at her and said ‘Aye, she was definitely cooking something off alright.’

I literally think about that every time my daughter is unwell, the whole night. Driving to the hospital in the dark, having a little cry to myself saying ‘she’s too good a girl to have anything bad happen to her’, waiting for maybe 7 hours to be seen for 5 minutes by a hospital so over capacity with accidents, Covid etc

Then I also think of a part that really helped me, the same paramedic said, when I was with him outside the ambulance (my wife was inside with.my daughter), ‘I’ll be honest mate, it’s fucking awful but this is the worst part, when you can’t do anything, you can do things now, even just driving to the same place they are.’

I always think about both of those moments. I’m writing this because my daughter isn’t well, her temperature is high and I have a huge amount of worry that she may have a seizure again - even though my wife is with her, her temperature is lowered, they’re watching cartoons and I’ve not had a call.

Sometimes you just need to let it out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1