Gloomhaven Leaving Early Access on 20 Oct 2021

Kal-El814

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gloomhaven (indie first-person immersive sim) Leaving Early Access on 20 Oct 2021
32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'll move this thread to the correct forum :p

But I am absolutely picking this one up!

Thank you!

Also we should get a clique together to play it. If it’s anything like the IRL version we’ll finish the campaign slightly before the heat death of the universe.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gloomhaven Leaving Early Access on 20 Oct 2021
5 hours ago, Littleronin said:

How is this first person?

I just realized that I completely mixed-up this game with GLOOMWOOD! :lol:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1626286330
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Trapped in a dark, Victorian city consumed by an ancient curse, you must plan your survival and daring escape using nothing but stealth, an arsenal of eccentric weapons, and your wit in this haunting adventure inspired by the immersive sims and survival horror greats of the late 90s and early 2000s.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Is this the one that can run scenarios, but can't actually do a campaign? Or have they added that, finally?

Yes, the full campaign is coming when it exits early access, though there's a bunch of good content in the game as it exists right now.

The campaign / game is an interesting mix of tabletop and videogaming concepts. Some missions aren't accessible until you unlock certain achievements, some missions lock depending on your decisions, some classes unlock based on criteria that you may see right away / might not see for dozens of missions. It also relies a lot on holding yourself to some of the rules as written. The cards you play have numbers which determine action order after all the PCs / NPCs have decided what cards they'll play / have the enemy cards flip. You're supposed to be somewhat vague, saying, "I'm trying to go quickly and will try to attack this group," as opposed to saying, "I'm playing my 10 priority card so plan accordingly." Some of that stuff is easier to litigate when you're playing IRL. That said the game has a LOT of book keeping which the app will do.

That said the game's "plot" can be pretty thin, and because it's a board game you can do some "silly" stuff like finish a mission where you do something like jump into a portal to a dungeon controlled by a fire demon... then decide you wanna go back to town and do unrelated things.

If you like tabletop, coop dungeon crawlers with some opportunities for LIGHT role playing, it's worth a look. I think it's $25 now and I think there's more than $25 worth of content even w/o the campaign. Just keep in mind that it's a digital version of a tabletop game.

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yes, the full campaign is coming when it exits early access, though there's a bunch of good content in the game as it exists right now.

The campaign / game is an interesting mix of tabletop and videogaming concepts. Some missions aren't accessible until you unlock certain achievements, some missions lock depending on your decisions, some classes unlock based on criteria that you may see right away / might not see for dozens of missions. It also relies a lot on holding yourself to some of the rules as written. The cards you play have numbers which determine action order after all the PCs / NPCs have decided what cards they'll play / have the enemy cards flip. You're supposed to be somewhat vague, saying, "I'm trying to go quickly and will try to attack this group," as opposed to saying, "I'm playing my 10 priority card so plan accordingly." Some of that stuff is easier to litigate when you're playing IRL. That said the game has a LOT of book keeping which the app will do.

That said the game's "plot" can be pretty thin, and because it's a board game you can do some "silly" stuff like finish a mission where you do something like jump into a portal to a dungeon controlled by a fire demon... then decide you wanna go back to town and do unrelated things.

If you like tabletop, coop dungeon crawlers with some opportunities for LIGHT role playing, it's worth a look. I think it's $25 now and I think there's more than $25 worth of content even w/o the campaign. Just keep in mind that it's a digital version of a tabletop game.

Oh I've played lots of Gloomhaven! I'd say about 15 in-person missions, and then another 50 in tabletop simulator once the pandemic hit. But I'd heard complaints that the official game version wasn't that great.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh I've played lots of Gloomhaven! I'd say about 15 in-person missions, and then another 50 in tabletop simulator once the pandemic hit. But I'd heard complaints that the official game version wasn't that great.

Interesting, I wonder what the feedback was. Other than missing the campaign, the app has seemed pretty good to me, and infinitely less fiddle than TTS.