Baby Driver is really fucking good

I never watched this in theaters and FINALLY was able to sit down for it, and hot damn, what an original wild ride of a film.

First, I was very happy to hear the song Baby Driver in the movie. Around the time this came out, I kept thinking about the Simon & Garfunkel song -- catchy tune! -- and considering plenty of older songs made an appearance in the movie, it was nice that the actual song got to shine 

Spoiler

right at the end.

There seems to be an inflection point between the drama and the comedy. The film starts stylishly with plenty of comedy and little drama, I thought, and the drama slowly increases and comedy decreases as the movie progresses. This isn't a criticism, just an observation. Shit gets real at a certain point.

Spoiler

I was not expecting Buddy to be the main antagonist. Jamie Foxx's character, Bats, was scary and observant, Kevin Spacey had the power, and Buddy and his wife, Darling, were actually much nicer to Baby for much of the movie. Buddy being the main antagonist makes plenty of sense in the movie, especially when you see how Buddy takes a swing at Bats after he opened fire on the crooked cops since that endangered not just him but his wife.

Also, even though she didn't have a ton to do, I really liked Debora. She was just a very warm character, sweet as can be, and one I was rooting for. It was poignant that Baby told her, "You don't belong in this world." I think you can probably overdo a character like that, but the film struck a perfect balance.

Good shit! Also shout-out to the mask scene.

• Like 1

Jamie Foxx was scary in this movie. And his conversation with Buddy in the diner was really good. The lady and I were talking about it afterward. 

Spoiler

Basically, Bats may be a "bad guy," but he's not a former Wall Street guy who's ruthless and supporting his cocaine fix. Bats may be unpredictable, but we saw how dangerous and motivated Buddy was once Darling died. I mean, the two of them were ready to kill Bats anyway after the heist.

But since they're more predictable, I'd just be nice to them and avoid their ire. Whereas I don't know what to do to avoid being killed by Bats. :lol: 

It’s one of my favorite movies from the past decade. I caught it multiple times while it was in theaters mostly because that opening scene was such a treat to see on the big screen. A few years later and rewatching it is still cinematic comfort food to me because the experience is more like listening to favorite album than watching a movie again.