Playstation hosted summer camp for girls who want to make games (Nintendo/MS join Playstation in San Mateo)

SaysWho?

Pretty cool initiative here.

When I had an idea to create a summer camp, where for three weeks, middle- and high-school aged girls could make their own games, I never dreamt of such a moment. Who could have thought that one day Executive VP of Gaming at Microsoft Phil Spencer, Executive VP of Business Affairs at Nintendo Devon Pritchard and Senior VP of Business Development at Caffeine Anna Sweet would come to PlayStation’s campus in San Mateo to celebrate girls in gaming? Moreover, that they’d join PlayStation President and CEO John Kodera, Chairman of Worldwide Studios Shawn Layden and Vice President of Product Development at Worldwide Studios Connie Booth in front of the PlayStation sign?

Kind of fun to see Spencer, among the others, in front of the Playstation sign:

VNOnwNY.jpg

MkyZI7v.jpg

GirlsMakeGames-755x425.jpg

29099035767_c4d43a8c2b_h.jpg

29099035977_5a6b6db95c_h.jpg

I've been to classes revolving around gaming, and it's cool to see it appeal to more girls. Dunno why it's such a "guy" thing considering the potential for the medium.

Good on Sony for hosting and good on Spencer and Nintendo for joining. The industry needs more of this.

I’m actually generally ecstatic that of the last two software companies I work for there is a sizable number of women coders in the org (between 20-35%). In the past it usually was 1 or none. :(

11 hours ago, chakoo said:

Good on Sony for hosting and good on Spencer and Nintendo for joining. The industry needs more of this.

I’m actually generally ecstatic that of the last two software companies I work for there is a sizable number of women coders in the org (between 20-35%). In the past it usually was 1 or none. :(

I've seen video game classes with a pretty decent amount of girls in it and am really happy to see initiatives like this!