In The Heights

Well I wanna see it because it’s a Lin-Manuel Miranda show and they just released the opening 8.5min today, and was catchy. I don’t know about you, but for some reason I just love the sync of natural elements of pan banging, feet stomping water squirting with the sound/rhythm of the music itself (stomp lite) I look forward to seeing this when it comes to video because movie theatres won’t be a thing for a bit here in Ontario. plus it is sitting at 96% after 85 reviews on RT

I just got back from seeing it and it’s well done. So many modern movie musicals such as Les Mis try to keep the visuals more grounded so it was nice to see than John Chu was willing to embrace a more stylized approach for the material. It does feel a bit long, but at least each song feels different visually so it never feels repetitive. They keep introducing new cinematic tricks until the end. Not every successful musical is able to be translate properly to film, but this is easily one of the most successful adaptations of the last ten years, and maybe the most?

Ended up watching it this morning. A ton of fun, but I've seen it on stage and listened to the cast album a lot, so there were some changes that were really jarring to me. I understand you need to make some changes in the adaptation process, but some of them didn't make any sense. 

That said, if my sister and her family end up going to the theater to see it, I'll gladly see it again with them. 

I had the biggest grin during the opening song. Lin’s use of rapping to tell a story has a really energy that other musicals don’t, and this is the first time his music has been put to editing that truly keeps up with that quick pace of information. It’s still hard to imagine Hamilton being adapted into a film, but if it ever does John Chu would make for an excellent choice. Well, either him or Coogler.

I really am glad the first time I saw this was in a theater because it truly is a big screen movie, but I’m also glad it’s on HBO Max so I can go back and rewatch my favorite songs. But I would still heavily advise anyone interested in it to try to catch it in a theater.