DHS formally rescinds Trump-era 'remain in Mexico' policy for migrants seeking asylum

mayorkas-1-gty-rc-210602_1622638474237_h
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has formally rescinded the "remain in Mexico" policy for migrants seeking asylum enacted during the Trump administration.

"I have determined that MPP does not adequately or sustainably enhance border management in such a way as to justify the program’s extensive operational burdens and other shortfalls," Mayorkas wrote in a memo addressed to the acting ICE director. "During the course of the program, border encounters increased during certain periods and decreased during others. Moreover, in making my assessment, I share the belief that we can only manage migration in an effective, responsible, and durable manner if we approach the issue comprehensively, looking well beyond our own borders."

"MPP is no longer a necessary or viable tool for the Department," he said. "Because my decision is informed by my assessment that MPP is not the best strategy for implementing the goals and objectives of the Biden-Harris Administration, I have no intention to resume MPP in any manner similar to the program as outlined in the January 25, 2019 Memorandum and supplemental guidance.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Being against court packing at this point is a sign you're on the take from monied interests who don't want progressive or popular legislation and are fine with continued minority rule in perpetuity

Or that you aren't aware of the structural deficiencies of the country and just want things to 'get better' without changing too much.