Update: "Beserk" manga to continue using "comments and sketches" Miura made before his death as a starting point

Looks like Young Animal had finally cancelled Duranki...

A22804-1252411192.1574447382.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Manga gets compiled book volume on December 24 // The October 1 issue of Hakusensha's Young Animal Zero magazine confirmed on Monday that Duranki (Duruanki),...

I'm actually surprised this one has been cancelled, but Berserk's cancellation has yet to be announced. Duranki was specifically set up for his assistants to have something they could turn into their own thing. I know Miura was storyboarding the manga, but I figured they'd be able to continue it without him. Studio Gaga isn't closing, so I'm guessing they're trying to figure out if there's anyway to complete the Berserk from his notes and such.

The last chapter of Berserk was released a few days ago and I think I'd be fine if it ended there. It's not a major cliffhanger and, while there are certainly a while ton of loose threads dangling about, it wouldn't be such a terrible place to leave them unfinished. I'm sure Studio Gaga ended it there because of that reason and they're now trying to figure out if there's any way to see Miura's vision through to its completion.

Either way, Berserk ends up being the longest running series I've followed. If it continues, cool. If it doesn't then Hajime no Ippo will catch up and take its place eventually.

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I read this yesterday and find it puzzling. I hope they aren't building up to disbanding or something, but I'm still not sure how I feel even his assistants continuing his work. 

The last chapter was certainly setting things up for a final arc. My assumption coming out of it was that either they all get dragged into greater war when it reaches them or they head out to end the Hawk's war against non-humans. In the end, I don't see how they stay together. They each have their own dreams. Eventually they're going to part ways.

Either way, the last chapter wasn't actually done. A far as I can tell, his assistants finished it up for him after his death. Berserk not having been canceled while Duranki is clearly canceled leads me to believe they really do want to continue the series, but they aren't really sure how. The only thing we know about the end of Berserk is that it was always supposed to have a more hopeful, though maybe not exactly happy, ending.

Miura always seemed like he had a story he wanted to tell and he formed Studio Gaga to make that story happen. He doesn't seem like the type that would want his fans to not see the story finished. However, it's also really difficult to follow up and complete the work of a legend. I don't envy the position they're in.

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The last chapter was certainly setting things up for a final arc. My assumption coming out of it was that either they all get dragged into greater war when it reaches them or they head out to end the Hawk's war against non-humans. In the end, I don't see how they stay together. They each have their own dreams. Eventually they're going to part ways.

Either way, the last chapter wasn't actually done. A far as I can tell, his assistants finished it up for him after his death. Berserk not having been canceled while Duranki is clearly canceled leads me to believe they really do want to continue the series, but they aren't really sure how. The only thing we know about the end of Berserk is that it was always supposed to have a more hopeful, though maybe not exactly happy, ending.

Miura always seemed like he had a story he wanted to tell and he formed Studio Gaga to make that story happen. He doesn't seem like the type that would want his fans to not see the story finished. However, it's also really difficult to follow up and complete the work of a legend. I don't envy the position they're in.

All of this is my take as well. I agree, they seem to want to continue Berserk but aren't sure how. I'm not sure how they can do it either. I am glad we got one more chapter at least if nothing else. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like my guess was right. Studio Gaga will be continuing Berserk. Miura, however, did not leave any notes. The studio will instead complete the series based on what Miura told them and how they felt he wanted the series end. How long that goes, I have no idea. I know they have his art style down, but it's see how close they can mimick his storytelling. I also wonder if they'll be able to increase production to something a little more predictable than "whether it's done".

New chapters starting later this month with six to complete the current arc before starting off of a new arc. The sky is the limit from there.

I do hope this goes well.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: "Beserk" manga to continue using "comments and sketches" Miura made before his death as a starting point
12 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I personally liked where it ended. I will check it out but I doubt I will follow it further than the current arc. 

I can say that I made peace with where it ended, but it definitely isn't finished. It also sounds like Miura had a lot of story left in him with multiple arcs and new characters to meet.

I'm okay with this cuz I have two schools of thought:

1 - if the manga fails/isn't satisfactory with its eventual conclusion, in my mind (and maybe others) I can always think to myself, "Miura didn't do it, and I don't have to consider anything made after he passed away as canon or official, or as anything that he would have done if he was still around."

2 - But then, if this manga does end terrifically, and does tell a fantastic story, then I'll be happy with it and can praise it as a great send up to Miura as well as being a great nod to his family for allowing such great hands to take over the franchise in his place.

So, it's kind of a win-win no matter how the manga ends. If it's bad, it doesn't matter. If it's good to great, I'll happy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Berserk is officially back and this time with a supposedly steady schedule. The next two chapters are out and they really look like Miura's artwork. I know the whole point of Studio Gaga and Duranki was to get some people drawing like Miura, but it really worked out.

It's two chapters, so I can't really comment on what I think of the direction they're going since it's only two chapters. From Miura's last chapter, it was already safe to assume that the flying shit would hit a fan somewhere and that's exactly where we are.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Berserk is officially back and this time with a supposedly steady schedule. The next two chapters are out and they really look like Miura's artwork. I know the whole point of Studio Gaga and Duranki was to get some people drawing like Miura, but it really worked out.

It's two chapters, so I can't really comment on what I think since of the direction they're going since it's only two chapters. From Miura's last chapter, it was already safe to assume that the flying shit would hit a fan somewhere and that's exactly where we are.

Nice! I hadn't realized new chapters had dropped, but a steady schedule is nice to hear (and makes sense, only Miura himself can get away with delays). Will be checking these out this week.

• 1 month later...

I finally did read the new chapters - there are three out so far, with a fourth due on August 12th. It's good! Seems like more Miura. The art seems slightly worse but negligibly so but otherwise where the story is going is what made sense for it to go. I imagine these chapters are easier to do since the team probably had some idea what the next bunch of chapters probably needed to be. It's once we're in completely new territory where they'll have to rely on Miura's manga-ka friend. But I'm actually glad it's back.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I finally did read the new chapters - there are three out so far, with a fourth due on August 12th. It's good! Seems like more Miura. The art seems slightly worse but negligibly so but otherwise where the story is going is what made sense for it to go. I imagine these chapters are easier to do since the team probably had some idea what the next bunch of chapters probably needed to be. It's once we're in completely new territory where they'll have to rely on Miura's manga-ka friend. But I'm actually glad it's back.

I actually don't see a huge difference with the art. I think what's actually missing is Miura's storyboarding. His framing of characters and action is what's missing and I think that's putting a damper on the artwork.

Still very happy this is continuing and have no problems with where the story is going even if I do want to kill one specific character on the page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I actually don't see a huge difference with the art. I think what's actually missing is Miura's storyboarding. His framing of characters and action is what's missing and I think that's putting a damper on the artwork.

Still very happy this is continuing and have no problems with where the story is going even if I do want to kill one specific character on the page.

You may be right I think - perhaps it's not so much the literal artwork but the storyboarding and framing - some of the framing with Zodd while fighting Guts looked off, but nothing completely off point, just enough for a super fan like me to notice.

Which specific character? Is it Isidro? :p 

46 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Where are y'all getting these chapters these days?

I usually just grab them from www.nyaa.si, which has most anything you need ready for download when it comes to Japanese stuff. Just type in Berserk and grab 365, 366, and 367, should be in the upper half of the page of the search when you do so. The Kamizye downloads. :)

• Like 1