Don't Breathe is a really fun horror flick

I'm sure there was a thread on it before the great purge of 2018. I watched it last night and found the premise interesting -- by all accounts, the big bad in the movie should be handicapped and more of a magnet to threats than a threat himself, but his heightened senses make him more unpredictable and somehow scarier. And those damned eyes.

Let's talk about some of the plot developments.

Spoiler

We were watching the movie and a bit puzzled as to why he was barricading the place shut after killing the first guy. It seemed like calling 911 would be just dandy. But finding out his plan to get a daughter out of the girl who allegedly killed his daughter was a dark twist -- when the first guy who died said, "I know what's down there and I'm not leaving without it," that was a hell of a line because to the blind vet, he's talking about the hostage.

But then once the police came, they never really discovered that stuff? The news said he killed the two boys in self-defense with nothing about some weird contraption in the bottom or anything about the girl who died. I dunno if that was an oversight in the film or not; it seems like something that would be easy to find since Rocky and Alex stumbled upon it and the cellar leads right to it. He did put that other girl in some black tar or something, so I dunno? Maybe she couldn't be found; I wasn't actually clear on what that was.

Despite some of that confusion, I really dug this movie. A blind man turning out the lights to slow down two trapped kids was great, and the movie turned night vision (dilated pupils were a nice touch). 

I see a sequel is releasing this summer, though the premise seems kind of weird to me considering the events of this film. Regardless, I can see why this did major business in 2016 when it released. Nothing supernatural -- just a cool premise and great tension throughout, not to mention the movie not ending exactly when you might think.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I enjoyed it and I normally can't do horror movies because I'm a pussy.

Cripes, I'm late responding:

Did you not find this to be that scary, or did you find its brand of horror more palatable to your tastes?

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Cripes, I'm late responding:

Did you not find this to be that scary, or did you find its brand of horror more palatable to your tastes?

It was engaging enough that I couldn't stop watching even though I was uncomfortable. And also it wasn't all jump scares. I hate jump scares.