Shadow and Bone on Netflix

Anyone else check this out? Went up on Netflix last night. 8 episode 1st season. 

I know absolutely nothing about the books other than they fall into that YA Fantasy genre. Which usually means the adaptions are either really good or absolutely cringe CW quality. This appears to be the former. Watched two episodes and I like how the story is broken into two parts. You’ve got the kinda sentimental serious/magical story on one side. And then a sorta Oceans 11 type story on the other side. I also really like that they pretty much just dump you into the story. There’s a very small amount of exposition at the begging and then it’s full steam ahead, figure out who everyone is and what’s going on by yourself haha. I like it doesn’t waste 3 episodes slowly building up the world. 

No idea if this is a pretty straight up translation or more of a kind of accompaniment to the books the way the His Dark Materials show is. But I’m liking it a lot so far. Curious what book readers think.  

• Thanks 1

I saw the mini trailer for this in my suggestions on Netflix and it didn't interest me.  But I don't think the trailer is doing it any favors.  Y'all are making me want to give it a chance more than the advertisements are.  I'll check it out this week.

4 episodes in and I like it even more. The secondary storyline(heist one) is really coming into its own and has had some very funny moments. Its interesting in that so far there isn’t really any kind of singular antagonist. There’s a bunch of threats that are seen or talked about but no big bad. All of the characters are genuinely likable and by episode 4 it has hit a few emotional notes that surprisingly feel earned for how early it is. 

Im told there’s a trilogy and then another 2 books that tell a different story in the same world and that the show is combining the two stories to tell at the same time. I’m assuming that’s why there’s the main character storyline and then the heist style storyline. Def gonna check out the books when we finish the season.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Mercury33 said:

Im told there’s a trilogy and then another 2 books that tell a different story in the same world and that the show is combining the two stories to tell at the same time. I’m assuming that’s why there’s the main character storyline and then the heist style storyline. Def gonna check out the books when we finish the season.

which is why I stopped after 2 episodes. I know the Shadow and Bone story but not the Six of Crows one.

• 1 month later...

they definitely messed with books quite a bit. Almost the entire Crow Club stuff is new, as those books take place after the original trilogy and none of them play ed a role in that storyline, though the parts of Nina and Mathias and the shipwreck is a flashback that happened in the Six of Crows book. And despite not being all that faithful to the books, I thought it was fairly well done.