is $700 a good price for a used PC with an i7 8700k

MB is an ROG Maximux X hero

NZXT 710 case

Kraken x62 aio with push pull fans

750w psu

I'm going to put my gtx 1080 and a new NVME drive if I buy it. 

My cousin was trying to sell me just the CPU MB and some cheap chinse ram for $250 as an upgrade for my PC but id rather just use my current PC as HTPC

I don't plan on keeping the cheap chinese ram I'll later get 32 GB of some quality ram

@Mr.Vic20 you're my only hope

Yeah my cousin is trying to get the 10850 and mb

he was trying to get my to buy his mb cpu combo for $250 with the Chinese ram 

i offered to buy the whole computer  minus the GPU the and ssds and he said the $700 for everything else. And I only asked for the whole thing because it would be easier than to disassemble both computers to swap parts and I didn’t want to mess inside my Corsair 600

18 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

what processor is it

?

i5-11400F.  It's 6 cores/12 threads like the 8700k, but has the advantage of a few generations of tweaks.  Even though it can't be overclocked it should still be as good or better than an 8700k with the added benefit of an improved feature set (like PCI-E 4.0).

9 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Yeah my cousin is trying to get the 10850 and mb

he was trying to get my to buy his mb cpu combo for $250 with the Chinese ram 

i offered to buy the whole computer  minus the GPU the and ssds and he said the $700 for everything else. And I only asked for the whole thing because it would be easier than to disassemble both computers to swap parts and I didn’t want to mess inside my Corsair 600

If all that stuff is new, or like less than a year of use, then $700 wouldn't be too bad.  That is a premium motherboard (which are expensive), a premium cooler, and a premium case.  But with, I'm assuming, 3 years of use, spending a bit more on new parts will add better longevity.  Water coolers become less effective over time because the water will slowly evaporate out of the closed loop system.  And newer motherboards will offer more improvements than an older high-end board like better/faster USB ports and PCI-E compatibility, although midrange boards may not have as good of onboard LAN or audio chipsets.

The power supply is an unknown.  If it's a really good one, then the $700 asking price would be acceptable, IMO.  But if it's just an average one, pass or haggle the price down.

I want to haggle  the price with him I’m just curious what would be an appropriate counter offer.

money is tight right now with reduced hours from covid so I really can’t jump what I really want which is a 5800x (due to availability over the 5600x)  and then build a whole new computer and just add the gtx 1080.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, BlueAngel said:

8700k to a 10850 is not much of an upgrade, better to go with an AMD build lol.

8700k to a 10850k is a massive upgrade, depending what you play. I upgraded from a 9900KS to a 10900k and gain 25% more FPS in Warzone.  10900K is the fastest CPU you can buy for that game.