PSA: LG C9 update fixes some straggling issues for 30xx users

legend

While LG released an update for the C9 last year that fixed 120hz 4K Gsync for 30xx users, I still had some minor nuisances remaining. Specifically I had the following issues in desktop mode (strangely not in games):

• When I first booted up my PC, I would get a series of flickering artifacts that lasted for about 10 seconds
  • While in desktop mode, I would see another flickering artifact about once ever hour or so
  • If the PC was on but the TV originally booted to another source (like say my PS4) and then I later switched it to PC, it wouldn't find the signal unless I reset the TV

A new OVA update came out a few days ago and I noticed that I wasn't really observing these problems anymore. I looked around on the internet and found others also reported that while they once had these issues they were now fixed.

While these issues were never a deal breaker because I mainly cared about my PC for games where it didn't seem to be a problem, it was still annoying. So if you are a 30xx user with an LG TV an experienced these issues, you should get the update!

Nice to hear those getting fixed via firmware, I have those same weird issues (and one additional more major issue with frames at 42 and 84fps only) on my Vizio pq9 and a new firmware update came out for some models/regions but hasn’t hit me yet. :( Hoping it at least addresses these stability problems for now when I get it. 

Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying kinda hacking around to get your new tv working right.

1 hour ago, legend said:
  • If the PC was on but the TV originally booted to another source (like say my PS4) and then I later switched it to PC, it wouldn't find the signal unless I reset the TV

My workaround for this has been to quickly toggle Instant Game Response mode off then back on. Seemed to do the trick 99% of the time, but still very annoying. Gonna update my firmware now!

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Nice to hear those getting fixed via firmware, I have those same weird issues (and one additional more major issue with frames at 42 and 84fps only) on my Vizio pq9 and a new firmware update came out for some models/regions but hasn’t hit me yet. :( Hoping it at least addresses these stability problems for now when I get it. 

Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying kinda hacking around to get your new tv working right.

Yeah that's annoying. I hope it's released soon!

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I own the same TV as Legend and was wondering if I'll be able to play next gen games at 120fps? That is, the few games that actually run at 120.

Depends on the game, but yeah, for sure. I can play plenty of games now at 4K 120 even without DLSS. E.g., Doom Eternal. Most modern games I can usually do 4K w/ HDR and Ultra and somewhere between 60fps and 120fps, which with Gsync is really nice.

If you mean consoles, then yeah I suspect you'll find some games on next gen consoles that will use your TVs full 120hz, although it's unclear at this stage how many console games will target it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I own the same TV as Legend and was wondering if I'll be able to play next gen games at 120fps? That is, the few games that actually run at 120.

I didn’t realize you had a c9, you got lucky picking that one in 2019 since it had hdmi 2.1 early! Otherwise you would have gotten a brand new expensive tv and would already be missing features for the new gen.

And for future reference, yes, your tv supports vrr too!

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Man, I'd love to find a 30XX series GPU (for which I don't have to pay a king's ransom!) so that I could actually experience these issues on my C9 that this firmware update fixes!

Yeah that sucks. You can always do what I did though and secure one by buying an entire PC that happens to come with one!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I didn’t realize you had a c9, you got lucky picking that one in 2019 since it had hdmi 2.1 early! Otherwise you would have gotten a brand new expensive tv and would already be missing features for the new gen.

And for future reference, yes, your tv supports vrr too!

Yea, I snagged the C9 after my C8 got busted while moving. That's terrific news all around. Thank you.

There’s some 120fps stuff waiting for you to check out on XSX when you get it too, Ori 2, Horizon 4, and I believe Gears 5 multi have 120fps modes on the first party side.

The VRR might end up being more important though depending on how much devs lean on it later in, if games are struggling to hit 60, it’ll still be smooth for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@legend - is this update available through the TV itself yet?

I checked and there was no update available to download.

Yeah, mine happened in an auto update when I turned on my TV. My system is on 5.00.30.

I feel like this is the Australia page, but I'm having troubling finding the software page for the US. You can at least see the update here and directly install if you wish, and you can see it came out ~April 7th (and over the air probably took about a week longer, which lines up with when I got mine.)

WWW.LG.COM

Get product support, user manuals and software drivers for the LG OLED55C9PUA.AUS. View OLED55C9PUA.AUS warranty information & schedule repair service.