Update: "The Sandman: Act I" Audible audiodrama is free until October 22 (all you need is an Amazon account), Act II debuts on September 22

I decided to give this a shot yesterday after hearing about the high quality of its production values are and my God, they weren't kidding at all!  You can absolutely tell that the Amazon money was put to good use here, especially with the cast of  Riz Ahmed, Kat Dennings, Taron Egerton, Neil Gaiman (the narrator), James McAvoy, Samantha Morton, Bebe Neuwirth, Andy Serkis, and Michael Sheen.  It's essentially a very faithful adaptation of the first story arcs in the series (Preludes and Nocturnes, The Doll’s House, and Dream Country).  In fact, the main criticism I've seen of the audio drama is that it might be too faithful to the original source material, especially in regard to keeping all of the 1980s cultural references intact.  But if that's not a problem for you, then I can say to dive in without hesitation!

61CEI+8TpdL._SL210_.jpg
WWW.AUDIBLE.COM

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. Please note: This content is not for kids. It is for mature audiences only. Just like the original graphic novels, this audio adaptation contains explicit language and graphic violence, as well as strong sexual content and themes. Discretion is advised. ...

One of my favorite graphic novel series of all time. I don't really do audiobooks but I have heard amazing things. The show is still happening last I checked as well.

Edit: 

The-Sandman-Casting-social.png
COLLIDER.COM

Netflix has unveiled the cast of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, which will be led by Tom Sturridge, Gwendoline Christie, Boyd Holbrook and Charles Dance.

Ah okay, it's already been shooting and everything! Good casting at least.

Yes 100% I second this. It is AMAZING!!! I couldn’t believe how well they adapted it. The dialogue is almost exact from the comic, there’s a few extra lines I noticed to better explain what you can’t see. Dream has some more inner dialogue also to explain what he’s thinking(shown in the comic) and then Neil Gaiman is the narrator and he describes some of what you’d see as well. The cast is great and the production values are through the roof. This is a full on radio style production. Besides the full cast there’s music/score and sound effects. I actually would listen to a few books then go and reread them in the actual comic. Wonderful experience and I recommend it to everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

61CEI+8TpdL._SL10_UR1600,800_CR200,50,10
WWW.AUDIBLE.COM

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. Offer available to U.S. listeners only. Ends Oct. 22, 2021. Please note: This content is not for kids. It is for mature audiences only. Just like the original graphic novels, this audio adaptation contains explicit language and graphic violence, as wel...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: "The Sandman: Act I" Audible audiodrama is free until October 22 (all you need is an Amazon account), Act II debuts on September 22
  • 2 weeks later...

So, been reading through my massive The Sandman Volume 1+2 tomes (still need Vol. 3, which released more recently) and I'm on issue #24. I use the audiobook to listen as I read and look at the images and follow along. It's fun to notice the edits and cuts in dialogue and extrapolations to add descriptions for those who aren't seeing the images from the comic as they listen. The edits are all very nice and progressive, changing things from "he was his assistant" to "he was his lover" because that role was so much more important between them than pointing out he was his assistant. They do nips and tucks like that here and there which are pretty smart, otherwise it's almost exactly, impressively the same as the comic. Anyways, I'm chugging along and the story is as good as I remember it. It's just too addicting and everything feels layered and complex and real. Can't wait to get to part II. 

Also, this news dropped, and I'm pretty excited:

theSandman.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

Neil Gaiman confirmed that The Sandman season 1 filming has wrapped, with post-production and VFX all that's left to the Netflix series.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Komusha said:

I downloaded the first volume. I never got around to reading the original comic but have been meaning to. Is it worth seeking that out first so that can be my first experience with the story?

Id do both at the same time. Listen to a chapter on Audible, then read the chapter in the book. Or if you’ve got the time and set up, listen while reading. Not a ton of the actual dialogue has changed and the audio adds a ton of narration the goes really really well with the illustrations and wordless panels. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:57 AM, Komusha said:

I downloaded the first volume. I never got around to reading the original comic but have been meaning to. Is it worth seeking that out first so that can be my first experience with the story?

On 9/24/2021 at 6:58 AM, Mercury33 said:

Id do both at the same time. Listen to a chapter on Audible, then read the chapter in the book. Or if you’ve got the time and set up, listen while reading. Not a ton of the actual dialogue has changed and the audio adds a ton of narration the goes really really well with the illustrations and wordless panels. 

This.

I've been listening as I read the comic and it's the best way to experience the story, I think. Both at the same time works really well because very little of the dialogue itself has been changed and the comic images really help to fill out the voice acting and sound design and music of the audio. I'm up to the chapter August on Act II and it's just been amazing all the way through.