A ProPublica review found New York City has paid more than $1 billion in recent years to settle suits against officers, who are rarely punished.

25 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The only way the police will ever be reformed is to take settlement money out of their salaries and pension. 

Or institute police insurance, just like medical malpractice insurance. If police become uninsurable due to claims against them, then cities can't hire them if they want to keep the insurance. Or, they become personally liable if they are uninsurable.

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

The only way the police will ever be reformed is to take settlement money out of their salaries and pension. 

EXACTLY RIGHT.

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Or institute police insurance, just like medical malpractice insurance. If police become uninsurable due to claims against them, then cities can't hire them if they want to keep the insurance. Or, they become personally liable if they are uninsurable.

200709-maywood-police-department-ew-710p
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Across the nation, insurers have had surprising success "policing the police," ending risky behavior, ousting chiefs, even closing troubled departments.

Honestly how police get away with being forced out of one department and land into a new one with ease is beyond me, for example we wouldn't hire a guy that looked good on paper with experience as a school bus mechanic cause I asked around he was basically a pain in the ass and was about to get fired from his current place, and that was over a year ago and found out hes still trying to get a job in district garage, lol, meanwhile these fuckers can kill someone or beat the shit out of someone and then just go one town over like nothing happened.

8 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I thought about this and while it would work in areas that have department pensions. Here in Nevada even if they had that they would use the PERS fund and kill retirement for so many non-law enforcement state workers. 

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Honestly how police get away with being forced out of one department and land into a new one with ease is beyond me, for example we wouldn't hire a guy that looked good on paper with experience as a school bus mechanic cause I asked around he was basically a pain in the ass and was about to get fired from his current place, and that was over a year ago and found out hes still trying to get a job in district garage, lol, meanwhile these fuckers can kill someone or beat the shit out of someone and then just go one town over like nothing happened.

The Catholic church passes pedophile priests around between dioceses too.