Can we agree in retrospect? Microsoft still believes in generations

crispy4000

"I've read a lot of question on the internet, like, why isn't Microsoft going to continue Xbox One X as the low-end machine. Well, one thing is that it would last a long time through the generation and we felt that the new generation is defined by aspects such as the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and graphics features such as variable rate shading and ray tracing and the 4x processing performance boost on the CPU."

"And so we wanted to make sure that there was an entry level at the right price-point so that we could really advance the generation rather than hold it back. I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."

This comes from a new Series S interview:

18 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Sure but why should we care ?

Developers can really tap into the huge SSD and CPU advantages with a generational divide.  Sounds like Series S was a solution to the challenge of dragging along the One X.

It also sets a future precedent for how console cycles will look going forward.  You can't expect a mid-cycle console to last any longer than a base machine.  Though we've also seen how much base machines struggle when revisions become the lead development targets.

• Thanks 2

I gotta say, this has been the most disappointing yet weirdly satisfying console launch ever.

It's disappointing because I was unable to get a new console. Yet, it's also been pretty damn sweet cuz I still get to play 90% of the games that are releasing. I'm playing Dirt 5 and Ass Creed Valhalla that I purchased, and also enjoying "free" games like Tetris Effect, Planet Coaster, Gears Tactics, and a couple of games from EA Play like Black, NFS Heat, and will hopefully be downloading Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. Are they all "new" games? No, but damned if it doesn't feel a little bit like my birthday right now.

MS can all it whatever it damn well pleases by this point.