DC MULTIVERSE 101

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

... do people really not know that Flash and Green Lantern are golden age heroes???

I still maintain that the fan obsession with canon, not just in DC but in general, is counterproductive. But making it all canon is one way to get around that so good on DC I suppose!

I think at the time a lot of people didn't know. I didn't when I was younger and I was always confused as to the Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern were different people than their modern counterparts while Golden Age Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were all the same people. I remember at one point DC said that Golden Age Wonder Woman was actually her mother and that Batman and Superman didn't exist in the Golden Age, but they retconned that too.

I think canon serves a purpose in serialzed storytelling or else things can get confusing and inconsistent which is what fucked the DC universe up in the first place. But this approach they're taking now seems like a great idea because it makes EVERYTHING matter now and opens up the storytelling possibilites. I think it works now because with the CW shows and Spiderverse being so popular, the mainstream public is now familiar enough withe concept of alternate dimensions that you could make this work. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think at the time a lot of people didn't know. I didn't when I was younger and I was always confused as to the Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern were different people than their modern counterparts while Golden Age Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were all the same people. I remember at one point DC said that Golden Age Wonder Woman was actually her mother and that Batman and Superman didn't exist in the Golden Age, but they retconned that too.

I think canon serves a purpose in serialzed storytelling or else things can get confusing and inconsistent which is what fucked the DC universe up in the first place. But this approach they're taking now seems like a great idea because it makes EVERYTHING matter now and opens up the storytelling possibilites. I think it works now because with the CW shows and Spiderverse being so popular, the mainstream public is now familiar enough withe concept of alternate dimensions that you could make this work. 

Insisting on canon is just insisting on consistency in storytelling. People will accept changes that make things better, but nobody would say it's unreasonable nitpicking to dislike a book that kept majorly retconning its characters every chapter for no reason, or a movie that had a single character played by three completely different looking actors in the first, second, and third parts of the movie. Like with Klingons, going from the original series to the TMP/TNG style, people accepted that because the original design was obviously limited by 1960s budgets and makeup tech and now they actually looked like aliens. It'd be one thing if they were continuing to make minor changes that were clearly supposed to still be the same aliens as before because now they have bigger budgets and better makeup effects, but now it's frustrating that they keep majorly redesigning them for no real reason other than they can.

The DC multiverse is definitely a clean way to let new comic book or show runners do whatever they want without being tied to decisions made before them.