The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - Information Thread (Launching 30 October 2020)

Pikachu

I loved Until Dawn and Man of Medan was such a disappointing experience (for the price especially). I'll be holding off from buying this until it's received a decent level of good feedback. Such a shame as the concept for these games is wonderful and a great experience to share with people, it's just a shame that the narrative didn't hold up last time. 

I haven't played Man of Medan but it's setting and tone seemed so much less interesting than Until Dawn. Little Hope looks a lot more up my alley, and I hope they can improve on the formula. One lesson I hope they learn is that not every character needs to be unlikable.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I think this game had the worst ending of all time. 

Spoiler

The story is about the interconnected lives and deaths of five people played out in the pilgrim era during witch trials, the 70s in a house fire, and the present day as they make their way through the ghost town where the two previous events took place. Its all pretty complicated and involves some light time travel, but actually fuck that because none of the characters exist and you're actually just a crazy bus driver who wandered around a town harassing a black man and you get arrested in the end. There is basically no foreshadowing of this, and the story of the game didn't actually necessitate a twist. 

On 7/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, gamer.tv said:

I loved Until Dawn and Man of Medan was such a disappointing experience (for the price especially). I'll be holding off from buying this until it's received a decent level of good feedback. Such a shame as the concept for these games is wonderful and a great experience to share with people, it's just a shame that the narrative didn't hold up last time. 

On 7/8/2020 at 5:37 PM, Moa said:

I haven't played Man of Medan but it's setting and tone seemed so much less interesting than Until Dawn. Little Hope looks a lot more up my alley, and I hope they can improve on the formula. One lesson I hope they learn is that not every character needs to be unlikable.

Could you guys elaborate? I know Man of Medan seemed lower budget, but I've heard this line of thinking about Man of Medan and wonder what went wrong.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Could you guys elaborate? I know Man of Medan seemed lower budget, but I've heard this line of thinking about Man of Medan and wonder what went wrong.

The story wasn’t interesting, it wasn’t scary and was very brief for costing half of a full price game. Compared with until Dawn it was poor.

I actually ended up liking Man of Medan more than I expected. The setting / premise wasn't my favorite, but I thought the characters were quite entertaining. I discovered that I got the "bad" ending in Little Hope, and while the other endings aren't quite as trash, I'm still pretty mad about how the last five minutes of that game played out.

I do like that the anthology games are shorter than Until Dawn, which makes playing through them with a couple of friends a lot easier to do in 1-2 nights. I'm also glad that with Little Hope they added warning prompts that a QTE is coming, making the whole thing feel a lot more fair. Overall, I've liked all the games in the series and think they're worth playing cooperatively, but I'm still mad about Little Hope since prior to the last few minutes it was my favorite of the series.