Xbox One Game Sharing Question

Ok, so maybe a dumb question but MS hasn't made this an easy process to set up. So basically, I'm trying to figure out the best way to set my kids up with some games. For the last few years we've been sharing an Xbox One S, my account has the Gold (and Gamepass) sub, and all the games are purchased through me. They then play their games on their own accounts on the box, like the little leeches they are :p 

I finally picked up an X1X and will be moving the 1S to their bedroom...how do I set this up so they can still play the games and use Gold? Do I leave the 1S as my "home" Xbox? I believe doing so would mean I'd lose access on the X1X if the internet went out, right? Because it wouldn't be "home"? 

If I leave their box as my "home", can my wife still use her own account on the 1X and have access to our stuff? 

aaaaagh I hate having multiple consoles lol 

Thanks for your help, I hope I was clear enough. 

Yes, you leave the 1S as the Home Xbox.  You need to be logged into your account on the 1X to play your games.

You are right, if you lose Internet or Xbox Live goes out, you can't play your games on the 1X, only the 1S.

Your wife can play on the 1X as long as you are also signed in at the same time.

How often does the Internet go out though? 

• Thanks 1

That's a similar setup to what I have. When I got my X1X, I moved the XBO into the living room to use as a media box and for the wife to play some games. Since it's my home box, it doesn't matter who's logged into it. Since I'll never NOT be logged into my account when playing, I've been using the X1X in my computer room with no problems.

Yes, you do lose access to it when the internet goes down, and yeah, it's annoying. But honestly it's only happened maybe once or twice in the few years I've had this setup.

The real question is gonna be when the Series X releases. Will I be able to have both my XBO and the Series X set as "home" consoles?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yes, you leave the 1S as the Home Xbox.  You need to be logged into your account on the 1X to play your games.

You are right, if you lose Internet or Xbox Live goes out, you can't play your games on the 1X, only the 1S.

Your wife can play on the 1X as long as you are also signed in at the same time.

How often does the Internet go out though? 

I basically live in the sticks, town of about 1,000...internet goes out occasionally :lol:  But, I do appreciate the confirmation of keeping the 1S as my "home", thank you. 

42 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That's a similar setup to what I have. When I got my X1X, I moved the XBO into the living room to use as a media box and for the wife to play some games. Since it's my home box, it doesn't matter who's logged into it. Since I'll never NOT be logged into my account when playing, I've been using the X1X in my computer room with no problems.

Yes, you do lose access to it when the internet goes down, and yeah, it's annoying. But honestly it's only happened maybe once or twice in the few years I've had this setup.

The real question is gonna be when the Series X releases. Will I be able to have both my XBO and the Series X set as "home" consoles?

If my 1S is set as my "home" box in the kids' room and I'm signed into the 1X, won't I get signed out of my account once they turn the system on? Or would that only happen if my account on the 1S was actively signed in? 

I just went ahead and bought two Ultimate accounts. One for me and one for my Xbox at my parent's house. All of my nieces and Nephews have their own profiles... if there's a game that I know THEY'LL want to play, I just buy the game on that account. Most of the games I buy on my own account. Also since I buy a lot of disc based games, it doesn't really matter. But I would like to figure out a way for me to not have two ultimate accounts.

Here's a question, I just bought three months of Xbox Ultimate for my parent's account. I just paid for a the month of June today... if I add those three months to that account, will it start next month? I don't want one of those months to count for June, making me pay twice. 

10 hours ago, TheRealSmallville said:

If my 1S is set as my "home" box in the kids' room and I'm signed into the 1X, won't I get signed out of my account once they turn the system on? Or would that only happen if my account on the 1S was actively signed in? 

Yeah, you'll get signed out, BUT you dont have to actively be signed in your home console for any content to be played/viewed. So just turn off automatic sign-in on that box (or set auto sign-in to a different profile)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just went ahead and bought two Ultimate accounts. One for me and one for my Xbox at my parent's house. All of my nieces and Nephews have their own profiles... if there's a game that I know THEY'LL want to play, I just buy the game on that account. Most of the games I buy on my own account. Also since I buy a lot of disc based games, it doesn't really matter. But I would like to figure out a way for me to not have two ultimate accounts.

Here's a question, I just bought three months of Xbox Ultimate for my parent's account. I just paid for a the month of June today... if I add those three months to that account, will it start next month? I don't want one of those months to count for June, making me pay twice. 

It's supposed to be cumulative, but what i'd do is turn off auto-renew before adding the three months, just to be sure.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jaethos said:

This. I do the same thing and haven't had any problems.

Ah, perfect. That's what I was hoping. 

9 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yeah, you'll get signed out, BUT you dont have to actively be signed in your home console for any content to be played/viewed. So just turn off automatic sign-in on that box (or set auto sign-in to a different profile)

Thank you sir, I appreciate the info and the help!