The Banner Saga 3 Launch Trailer

Pikachu

• 1 year later...

Necrobump since now that I've beaten Thronebreaker I've moved on to The Banner Saga 3. It's really a shame this game series doesn't get more discussion (around here, where no one replied to this thread, and in general) as its decision-making is more realistic and honest than 99% of games out there and the unique world and bleak story really make it different from most games. 

I'm about 5 hours in and loving it. Both excited to see the end of this trilogy and sad it will be finished when I'm done. Anyone else played it or playing any of The Banner Saga?

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Necrobump since now that I've beaten Thronebreaker I've moved on to The Banner Saga 3. It's really a shame this game series doesn't get more discussion (around here, where no one replied to this thread, and in general) as its decision-making is more realistic and honest than 99% of games out there and the unique world and bleak story really make it different from most games. 

I'm about 5 hours in and loving it. Both excited to see the end of this trilogy and sad it will be finished when I'm done. Anyone else played it or playing any of The Banner Saga?

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and fully intend to get to the other games in the near future!

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

If by realistic you mean supply decreases and deaths from arbitrary dialogue choices, then sure.

The game (and series) is not for me.  I loved the games it was inspired by though.

I think that's a gross mischaracterization. The game's theme is bleak apocalypse, where there are just bad choices and worse ones. It's woven into the fabric of the story. I agree supply decrease penalty can be harsh, but I imagine that's how difficult those conditions are. Beyond that, what turned you off from the games?

55 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and fully intend to get to the other games in the near future!

They just get better! Get on it. :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think that's a gross mischaracterization. The game's theme is bleak apocalypse, where there are just bad choices and worse ones. It's woven into the fabric of the story. I agree supply decrease penalty can be harsh, but I imagine that's how difficult those conditions are. Beyond that, what turned you off from the games?

The punishment didn't get to me so much as the coincidental nature of your choices.  It felt like you had to be in the writers head just to keep from getting the worst outcome.  Like throwing darts at a board blindfolded.

It's also a SRPG (series) where some characters have a chance of dying in dialogue trees.  That, to me, is game design that doesn't work.  At least in Fire Emblem you feel like you were the idiot and not the developers.

Beyond that, I felt the story and characters weren't all that engaging, and every leg of the journey started to blend together.  The battle system is the best part, but I stopped 7 hours once when they finally introduced a new enemy unit.  Not enough variety to begin with.  After that I was done, it didn't matter how close I was to the end.

• Thanks 1