Thinking about getting a Oculus Rift or Vive. Any impressions?

Hurricane Game

It seems to me like a bad time to get into it, unless you are able to just get a headset cheap and plow through all the existing content.  I think this iteration of VR is a sinking ship.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/proof-vr-sales-numbers-sinking/

Pretty sure that MS had planned some VR for the One X and stopped pursuing it when the sales numbers started dropping for all the competitors in the space.

Having owned the Vive, Oculus, and PSVR, I feel the Oculus offers the overall best experience. Its HMD is the most comfortable, its controls are the best thought out and most comfortable + closest to the best of both worlds in being half motion wands and half an Xbox360 control. The software library is also better managed than Vive's "lots o' crap with some high quality games too!" approach. All of that said, 2019 looks like the year for generation 2 of these platforms. 

I have played on Vive and Vive Pro quite a bit (a good friend of mine has one of each). Haven't played the Oculus yet.

My impressions of VR is that the most important thing to have to make them work is an empty room. I've had an absolute blast playing games on the Vive headsets. The motion control is damn near perfect. The games that I've played that are the most fun though are games like Audioshield and Beat Saber. There are few good games that follow a more traditional campaign like Arizona Sunshine\SuperHot that offer a more complete experience but most of the good games do one or two things and do them really well (Audioshield/Beat Saber being good examples).

I'd personally buy a Vive Pro if I were to get one right now... and I would purchase today if I had the right space in my house. That said, if you can wait there should be some really good stuff coming in 2019. The Pimax 8k has some promise and I believe that design will be the future (200 degree FoV) that other headsets emulate.

6 hours ago, number305 said:

It seems to me like a bad time to get into it, unless you are able to just get a headset cheap and plow through all the existing content.  I think this iteration of VR is a sinking ship.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/proof-vr-sales-numbers-sinking/

Pretty sure that MS had planned some VR for the One X and stopped pursuing it when the sales numbers started dropping for all the competitors in the space.

The article you linked is using Amazon Sales Charts as the main evidence to support their claim which is ridiculously flimsy and has already proven wrong by HTC. 

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/26/htc-answers-death-of-vr-stories-with-record-vive-sales/

As for the Op, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I would instead create a list of games you want to play and see what device is better for the games you want. 

If you are unsure of VR and have a Pro, I would suggest PSVR since it is much cheaper to try out and has some great games. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The article you linked is using Amazon Sales Charts as the main evidence to support their claim which is ridiculously flimsy and has already proven wrong by HTC. 

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/26/htc-answers-death-of-vr-stories-with-record-vive-sales/

As for the Op, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I would instead create a list of games you want to play and see what device is better for the games you want. 

If you are unsure of VR and have a Pro, I would suggest PSVR since it is much cheaper to try out and has some great games. 

Well I guess sales numbers from the largest vendor are considered 'ridiculously flimsy' but a PR piece by the company that makes the headset is valuable.  

Lets say that they are selling like hot cakes then.  We are a couple years into the VR movement.  What is the hot game that everyone absolutely HAS to experience?  Are there any great games made for VR?  (don't answer with doom or fallout or anything that has a tacked on VR mode.  That won't help your cause.)

It is a snapshot of a product’s life cycle and doesn’t discuss any factors like seasonality into its analysis and has a great click bait title. 

HTC’s “PR piece” will either be substantiated or not when it reports its numbers. It would be rather foolhardy to lie about it on their website. 

And what fucking cause are you talking about?  I simply replied that HTC has refuted that article publicly by saying its headsets are selling well. I could care less if it succeeds or not.