I just watched Brick, and I have a question (open spoilers)

SaysWho?

The plot can seem confusing throughout -- I feel that's part of neo-noir movies that you have to expect -- but it makes sense once you've gotten to the end. The only thing is, even knowing Brendan's motivations at the end.... am I the only one who felt bad for The Pin as he cried out for help? My God, the guy is crippled and defenseless, and Brendan has a gun, and he doesn't do anything so he has time to leave and Tug will get cornered by the cops. At least, that's what it seems like. I know The Pin isn't a great guy, but Laura was really the one manipulating from the sidelines, which led to all the deaths in the movie. 

Yes, THIS is the thing I decided to ask about. :p 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Pin was a drug dealer peddling drugs to addicts and high schoolers. Brendan's thought is "fuck them both" and the cops are showing up so who cares. He got his revenge for a girl who never loved him that he never understood. Typical noir character dealing with the dead woman.

Love Brick, amazing work. 

Yeah, he wasn't a great guy, but shit, I felt bad listening to his pleas. Tug usually roughed people up, but he just straight up beat a guy to death. 

I'm surprised Tug died considering he later went to his friends in a deserted cabin and had to survive until dawn.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, he wasn't a great guy, but shit, I felt bad listening to his pleas. Tug usually roughed people up, but he just straight up beat a guy to death. 

I'm surprised Tug died considering he later went to his friends in a deserted cabin and had to survive until dawn.

Yeah I agree with you there - I think Rian Johnson plays the scene not as a triumph of Brendan getting over on Pin and Tug, but as an act of revenge on a man who ultimately was a fake hawk and physically weak. 

Rian Johnson has never enjoyed writing "villains" that you can easily feel "justified" in killing (same in all his movies). Really glad you saw this one!

• Like 1