#NeverForget: NC House Republicans override Dem governor's veto while Dems in legislature were at 9/11 remembrances

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article234962017.html

In an early-morning move that shocked and angered Democrats in the chamber, the N.C. House of Representatives voted to override Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of the state budget. Just over half of the 120 members were present to vote.

Rep. Jason Saine, a Lincolnton Republican, made the motion to reconsider the state budget, and chaos in the chamber quickly ensued. Democrats in the chamber vehemently objected to the bill being brought up, saying they were told there would be no votes during the 8:30 a.m. session and that the session was just a formality so work could begin.

“Today, on the 18th anniversary of 9/11, while the state was honoring first responders, Republicans called a deceptive, surprise override of my budget veto,” [the governor] said.

“On a day when tragedy united our country, we should be standing together despite party,” Cooper said. Instead, he said, “the Republican caucus was laying in wait, ready for this.”

Later, Cooper appeared on MSNBC and said he thought the House’s vote was “illegal.”

“I also believe that it is unethical,” he told MSNBC host Ali Veshli. “And I think it’s all part and parcel of this Republican leadership and our legislature, which in fact is not reflective of who we are as North Carolinians.”

On MSNBC, Cooper said the Republican lawmakers were elected in “illegally gerrymandered districts” drawn with “partisanship in mind first and foremost.” He did not mention Moore by name.

“And I think it is the last gasp of a dying majority here,” Cooper said. “And every single one of those House members and state senators are going to be up for election next year along with me running for re-election for governor. And there will be a judgment day in North Carolina.”

• Guillotine 1