'Driveclub' online features shut down March 31st, 2020, delisted after August 31, 2019

SaysWho?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/31/driveclub-online-shuts-down-march-2020/

It's not completely surprising this would happen. Sony closed Evolution Studios back in 2016, with Codemasters picking up the developer weeks later. There wasn't as much incentive to keep the racing game alive with its creators out of the picture. Nonetheless, it represents a sad end for the franchise. Driveclub was supposed to be a launch-era showcase for the PS4's power and did end up selling a healthy number of copies in the end (2 million as of July 2015), but repeated delays and a glitchy launch hurt its potential, not to mention Evolution Studios' chances of survival.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

That launch was pretty rough.... 

7 hours ago, Man_of_X said:

It had some of the most natural lighting that I've seen in a game.  They fucking blew that launch so horrifically hard though. 

It's honestly a sad end that it's closing before the gen is over. I can understand since Evolution doesn't exist, so they're not constantly updating the game, but as someone who doesn't play many racing games past Mario Kart, Evolution actually made me feel excited about it because you could tell how excited they were about the concept.

They also had the right idea of a socially connected racing game this generation. It would have been cool to see this live alongside Gran Turismo Sport or maybe a Drive Club 2, but between the year delay, the rough launch, and Drive Club going from a planned PS+ game to a stripped down PS+ game, it just didn't work out.

I hate seeing studios crash like this because no one's trying to make a bad game.

12 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

That's kinda crazy. It's not really that old. 

I didn't like that game, but I know some were really adamant it was good. 

It had some really hardcore supporters and players. It looked the most ambitious as far as what the game was trying to do of Sony's initial announcements (Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub, Infamous: Second Son).