My aunt woke up from a 3 week coma

Triage

I mentioned in one thread my mom's sister had a stroke and was in a coma. Doctors said it would be a miracle if she woke up and if she somehow did, it wouldn't be good because she's half brain dead 

Three weeks later she woke up. She cannot speak and doesn't have full mobility but she's aware and recognizes everyone 

Has anyone heard dealt with people in a coma? She wasn't hooked up to machines for the three weeks but was fed through tubes. She will have physical therapy so she can regain some mobility

It feels strange we all have said our goodbyes over a week ago 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats Triage! The only two people I've personally known who slipped into a coma was my dad at the end of his battle with brain cancer and Aunt who had Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease that put her in a coma before she passed away. 

Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD) is a universally fatal brain disorder.[2] Early symptoms include memory problems, behavioral changes, poor coordination, and visual disturbances.[2] Later dementia, involuntary movements, blindness, weakness, and coma occur.[2] About 90% of people die within a year of diagnosis.[2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt–Jakob_disease

She only lasted a few weeks after they diagnosed her.

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Congrats Triage! The only two people I've personally known who slipped into a coma was my dad at the end of his battle with brain cancer and Aunt who had Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease that put her in a coma before she passed away. 

She only lasted a few weeks after they diagnosed her.

My aunt also had Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. In fact, I was playing GW2 with @SFLUFAN and a few others when my mom phoned to tell me about the diagnosis, which for some reason I remember vividly. She ended up passing away around a month later. By the time she was diagnosed she was already losing memories and was often confused, and she quickly deteriorated. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

My aunt also had Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. In fact, I was playing GW2 with @SFLUFAN and a few others when my mom phoned to tell me about the diagnosis, which for some reason I remember vividly. She ended up passing away around a month later. By the time she was diagnosed she was already losing memories and was often confused, and she quickly deteriorated. 

From what I remember she was hospitalized and never got out when they diagnosed her. It happened in the late 90s when I was in high school.

15 minutes ago, Triage said:

@Remarkableriots and @CitizenVectron thank you for sharing and sorry for your loses. The disease sounds horrible. My aunt not sure what brought on the stroke but this was her third one and this one was bad. She's a fighter she survived cancer few years ago and now this. 

I hope she continues getting better!

• Like 1