Congressional Treason Delegation takes trip to Russia

Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard C. Shelby told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Tuesday that he hoped for an improvement in relations between the United States and the Russian Federation.

This Lavrov (the guy on the left):

gettyimages-681529300_wide-0242147ade9d8

GOP lawmakers on the trip with Shelby include Sens. Steve Daines of Montana, John Hoeven of North Dakota, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, John Kennedy of Louisiana, Jerry Moran of Kansas and John Thune of South Dakota.

Rep. Kay Granger, R-Texas, a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, also joined the trip.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/senate-republicans-meet-lavrov-moscow-ahead-trump-putin-summit

Who else was there?

Among the Russians meeting with the Republicans Tuesday was Sergei Kislyak - the former Russian ambassador to Washington whose communications with Michael Flynn led to the former national security adviser's downfall. Kislyak, now a member of the upper house of parliament, noted in an interview after the meeting that many of the Republicans sitting across the table were already known to him from Washington.

Yes, that Kislyak, the other non-orange individual in the above picture.

Participants offered conflicting accounts of the degree to which they aired U.S.-Russian disagreements. Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., described the meetings as "damn frank, very very very frank, no holds barred."

"I asked our friends in Russia not to interfere in our elections this year," Kennedy said. "I asked them to exit Ukraine and allow Ukraine to self-determine. I asked for the same thing in Crimea. I asked for their help in bringing peace to Syria. And I asked them not to allow Iran to gain a foothold in Syria."

Golly gee John, I'm sure that'll get them to cut it out. :daydream:

Duma member Vyacheslav Nikonov, on the other hand, said he had met with many American lawmakers in years past and that this meeting "was one of the easiest ones in my life." The question of election interference, he said, was resolved quickly because "the question was raised in a general form."

"One shouldn't interfere in elections - well, we don't interfere," Nikonov said.

480w_s.jpg

In December, two Republicans canceled a planned trip to Russia after Moscow denied a visa to Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, an outspoken critic of Russia. This time, only Republicans were in attendance, including Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the third-highest-ranking Republican in the Senate.

The fact that the American delegation was not bipartisan was not lost on the Russians.

"Since the Democrats actively accuse the Republicans of selling out to the Russians, it would naturally be strange if Democrats here were part of the group," Nikonov said.

Naturally. :daydream:

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/richard_shelby_in_russia_we_do.html