Elite Dangerous - Just bought, any advice?

CitizenVectron

I remember some people here played this quite a bit in the past. It was on sale for 55% off last week so I picked it up. I played for a few hours to get the feel of it, and I think I like it. I already have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, and I have ordered a Thrustmaster t16000m to go along with it. I will use the t16000m as my left joystick, and the 3D Pro as my right. I think I'll enjoy this better than a HOTAS since I can use the left joystick for 6dof  thrust and my right joystick for 6dof pitch/yaw/roll.

So far I've just bummed around and explored a system or two and shot some bounty. The biggest hurdle so far seems to be just figuring out where to go. Apparently I was fined 100 credits for firing within range of a station...but I don't know where to pay this fine, and the game doesn't say. Stuff like that. It's also hard to keep track of where stars are and to keep things pinned in the radar/compass. For instance, if I have a star locked that I want to jump to, do I really need to just keep rotating until I see it on my view, or is there a way to tell using the compass/radar where it is in relation to my current heading?

Any other useful tips are appreciated!

I bought it for VR, and it is really amazing in VR, but the game is also really difficult to understand. I had no idea what to do, and when I figured out something to do, I had no idea how to do it. I spent 20 minutes googling and watching videos to figure out how to dock the freaking ship.

I'm convinced there is an amazing experience hidden in that game (especially in VR), but I just didn't have the patience to find it. 

The game is a make your own fun kind of thing.  It's a big universe without much in the way of guidance.  Go to resource extraction sites in the rings of planets, I'd keep out of hazardous ones until you get a decent ship, only attack ships with a wanted tag, space cops will engage too and help out, don't shoot them.  It's a decent way to make money to start and get used to the fighting.