Langrisser Out Today! (Langrisser 1 & 2 Released on All Platforms)

Keyser_Soze

So Langrisser is an old JRPG series that first came out on Genesis and had 5 sequels ending on the Saturn in 1998 so 21 years later we get a new one on mobile. It appears to be free to play but looks like you can subscribe to a "forgiveness clock" for 99 cents for a month.

Q: Since I’ve never heard of Langrisser, how can I familiarize myself with the lore behind all the heroes?

A: We recognize that with a game series 27 years old but only available in English through fan translations and emulation, we have our work cut out for us. Therefore we’ve implemented the Time Rift in Langrisser Mobile. Inside the time rift you’ll be able to experience all the epic battles from each Langrisser game in the series history. Not only do we have the full original story set in the time after the ‘End of Legend’ Langrisser V, but in the Time Rift you can adventure through a slightly Story & all of the important plot point battles of Langrisser 1, known as Warsong in the USA on the Sega Genesis, and also Langrisser 2! At launch we have the Light Path & Imperial Path that was included in Der Langrisser on the SNES, fully voiced in English for the first time ever!

The remaining Der Langrisser routes and Langrisser 3, 4 & 5 are queued up for future release, so we won’t leave you thirsting for more with nothing to show. Prepare yourselves commanders! We will have an official encyclopedia on the main game website launching soon, stay tuned to our fanpage for latest news and events!

So it looks like the "Forgiveness Clock" is both a tactical advantage and a way to alleviate some of the F2P time-gating:

Forgiveness Clock (Subscription)

- Go back to any previous step in combat (It can be used only three times per combat, cannot be used for group or PVP combat).

- The energy consume of defeating in battle is reduced by 50%.

So some quick impressions for the 0s of people who are interested.

I played a couple of battles so obviously not everything has opened up yet. This does share a similar system to Fire Emblem in that it uses a "weapon trinity" system. Swords vs Lances vs Calvary, then two extra ones like light beats demon or something.

I think the game looks better graphically than it does in the videos.

There is a lot of voice acting, I've only heard the Japanese voice acting. If you switch you have to restart you game which I didn't feel like doing. But it's pretty good and thought it was impressive even the regular enemies were voiced not just the main characters.

Matthew is an epic fantasy name and (Childish) Gambino epic bad guy name? Lulz :p

1 hour ago, Slug said:

@Keyser_Soze So have you gotten a feel for how aggressive the monetization is?  Do you feel you can make reasonable progress or is the gating bad?

I really only played the prologue and a battle after that so I can't tell. Seems like you pay money for legendary heroes or something like that but I don't know what that means yet. :p

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So some quick impressions for the 0s of people who are interested.

I played a couple of battles so obviously not everything has opened up yet. This does share a similar system to Fire Emblem in that it uses a "weapon trinity" system. Swords vs Lances vs Calvary, then two extra ones like light beats demon or something.

I think the game looks better graphically than it does in the videos.

There is a lot of voice acting, I've only heard the Japanese voice acting. If you switch you have to restart you game which I didn't feel like doing. But it's pretty good and thought it was impressive even the regular enemies were voiced not just the main characters.

Matthew is an epic fantasy name and (Childish) Gambino epic bad guy name? Lulz :p

I'm interested! Actually downloaded it already seems a lot better than Fire Emblem with it's tiny maps and movement system.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I figured you would be since you were into Fantasy War Tactics. :p

Yeah and the devs who took that over from Nexon have butchered it :cry: If I win the lottery I will buy that IP and it will be a big part of my gaming empire :thinking:

@DPCyric

So I've played for about a week on and off every day, not a ton. I'm up to chapter 4. I believe things don't really open up till chapter 11 since there are some things blocked off till you finish tutorial-ish things.

Mainly I've played every day because there's a daily login incentive (of course) but there are also daily challenges which pretty much allows you to play longer (hamburgers), gives you the free in game currency, Trinity Crystals and it gives you friendship vouchers

Friendship vouchers allow you to summon new heroes or equipment. Looks like there are about 37 heroes you can summon. When you get far enough into the game (like chapter 3) it unlocks a "time rift" and you see these heroes are actually from the past games. And the Time Rift allows you to play past battles, playing these battles will allow you to improve your hero class or whatever. Also all these extra heroes are voice acted so that's nice.

Anyway, still chipping away.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I'm curious if this is worth playing on mobile vs steam/switch.  I love fire emblem type games.

Well the mobile version is free so you can try it and see if you like it or not for free!

It is not the version that just got released on consoles though.

• Thanks 1

I have been playing the mobile version daily for over a year and it is fantastic. The original story for the main campaign and all the maps in the game are high quality (the abridged story in the Time Rifts is solid too). I put less than $10 a month into it and honestly that's more to support the game than feeling like I need to. I believe the top two PvP players haven't spent any money on the game and if you just focus on the SP you really don't need to invest any cash. 

• Shocked 1

• 1 month later...

Hate to DP here but the new update dropping in a few minutes has a 14 day XP boost for new players to catch up (which is fantastic since the slog from 35 to 50 is rough if you haven't figured out how to min/max the game)... AND a crossover even with Record of Lodoss War! Again I really want to recommend this game to anyone who enjoys SRPG's I believe there is even a good PC version of it if you don't like playing on mobile. The main campaign is a full fledged SRPG that you can clear with just the stuff you get for free. The game is also very generous about giving you summoning tickets and they main way they have monitized the game is epically expensive limited time cosmetic only skins.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You son of a bitch double posting between 2 months!

Lol, I used to run a forum and generally preferred people just make a new thread rather than DP :p Anyways if anyone starts the game and wants advice on which characters/items to invest in I would be happy to help. I'm on server Rayguard and have a very casual friendly guild with open spots too!

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Lol, I used to run a forum and generally preferred people just make a new thread rather than DP :p Anyways if anyone starts the game and wants advice on which characters/items to invest in I would be happy to help. I'm on server Rayguard and have a very casual friendly guild with open spots too!

Have you played the PC I & II yet?

I'd consider joining your guild but honestly I kinda stopped playing. I logged in every day for a long time for the goodies though. :p

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you played the PC I & II yet?

I'd consider joining your guild but honestly I kinda stopped playing. I logged in every day for a long time for the goodies though. :p

I haven't actually thanks to Humble Bundle and Games with Prime I believe the last PC game I paid full price for was Stellaris (worth!).